Privacy hedge

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by uncleotis, Apr 14, 2005.

1. uncleotis

uncleotis Well-Known Member

Can anyone help me out here. We want to plant some kind of hedge between our house and the road that will grow about 10-12 ft tall and be a privacy fence so to speak, and my husband wants something that can be trimmed so that it is pretty straight up on the sides, not like a lilac bush for example. When we moved here there were some hedges I guess is what their called that had small green leaves and is ideal for a privacy "fence" but their in the wrong place. They lost their green leaves in the fall. I'm not sure what zone we're in. It's in Northeast Nebraska that I need to plant these. And none of the greenhouses we talk to act like they know what we're talking about. HELP PLEASE :confused:

uncleotis

2. mzzlisa

mzzlisa Well-Known Member

If you bought good sized Burning Bush, it would work. Yew will grow that high. Just make sure you have at least 20 feet between you and the road because of any winter salt/sand spreading. If its a dirt road, than you don't have to worry about that.
    This will take a few years of course.

3. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

red tiped photenia, privit hedge, forsythia, Holly trees.. would any of these work?

4. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Some people don't like it 'cause it can be a little invasive but we like Autumn Olive...can let grow 12-15' tall or turn into thick hedge with judicious pruning. Also has masses of berries in the fall/winter for the birds. In MI we had it along our long driveway and it was a perfect snowfence. DEE

5. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

I Was So Desperate For A Privacy Hedge That Once I Planted A Row Of Sunflowers. They Were Great. Everyone In The Community Of 300 Saw Them As I Live On A Corner. Of Course, They Were Temp. But Did The Job While They Lasted.

6. Triffin

Triffin Well-Known Member

Leyland Cypress is a fast growing upright,
    conical shaped evergreen that can be pruned to
    shape or left to grow naturally .. Plant in
    single or staggered double rows ..

Triff ..

7. uncleotis

uncleotis Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your ideas on what to use for a privacy hedge, they are all much appreicated.

uncleotis

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

When you plant the hedge you might want to do more than one species. Get some that grow fast and some that grow slow. It will give a denser hedge and better cover for wildlife as well as being more interesting. Maybe add some fruiting bushes like gooseberry and raspberry. Another fast grower is hedge rose, but it can get out of hand if not kept mowed back.