Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened a while back, and I did a system restore and it fixed everything. Temporarily apparently. Seems my print spooler service turns itself off? I looked in msconfig services and it is stopped. There is no option to start it. Using xp and an HP all in one. Fairly new HP all in one. This is very frustrating as I am in the process of searching for scholarships and restoring would erase all pages I have saved to look at later and I would have to start all over. Lazy is the key word here I guess. Besides that, I want to stop this from happening again. Is it a lack of updating printer drivers issue? cause the HP looks for updates automatically and has not found any as of yet. I can't see how that would be the case anyway when it is the spooler service that is stopped. That was there before the printer came. I'm just grasping at straws here. Again.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

In your settings, replace the "HP Standard TCP/IP Port" with the "Standard TCP/IP Port". There is an xp glitch causing this problem.

RF

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had to do a system restore to get the print spooler service to start again. Went to the settings and was going to make changes as Rocky Fields suggested, but I guess this is more than this old and exhausted (from a 2 1/2 year old granddaughter for a week) brain can figure out. I can get to the part where I change it from HP to Standard, but there is a continuation where I have to name it and its port and I drew a blank. Someone please think for me. This is the first break I have had all day and I have had to type nearly every word twice so far because I just can't think any more and my mistakes far outweigh my corrects. I don't want to screw anything up beyond repair and I think right now I probably could screw up a lot of things!
Thanks to all that know so much for all of us that don't and share. The Captain (Kangaroo) would be proud. (Obviously spent too much time with a toddler.)

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I poked around on the internet some more after a good nights sleep. Something you may want to add to your bag of tricks:

To start and stop the print spooler

Open Computer Management.

In the console tree, click Services.

Where?
•

Computer Management/Services and Applications/Services

In the details pane, double-click Print Spooler.

Do one of the following depending on the task you want to do:

Click Stop to stop the service.

Click Start to start the service.

Notes
•

To open Computer Management, click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
•

When you stop the Print Spooler service, it might stop other dependent services.
•

The print spooler runs under the Local Computer system account by default.
•

You can also start and stop the Print Spooler service through a command-prompt command. For more information, see Related Topics.
Top of pageTop of page

1 - 4 of 4 Posts