Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out yesterday to feed the goats it was late at night and getting dark. I noticed Prince was not out or running to me. He is a very lovey type of goat. At the very sound of my foot steps he is there. At the very sight of me he is there. So I called and called when he didn't come I knew it was bad I knew something was wrong big time. So I went in the pen looked in the dog house and there he was dead. It was to dark to see well so I decided I would get him in the morning. Then I could see better what may have happened. He was in the pen with Buck. They had 2 dog houses one for each. We had very cold weather for our area 10 degrees and super windy. Well this morning I got him out looked him over very well and could not come up with any reason that he died. I had thought maybe it was so cold that they slept together and he suffocated but there was no discoloration just pink. They fought but it was all in play and if it were ever serious I would think you would see blood or something. I checked for constipation and diarrhea neither there was fresh normal poop in his house. He was well feed dewormed. Nothing not normal. He was very heavy to lift over the fence probably at least 60 lbs. I lift feed sacks all the time so I am pretty good at telling. He turned out to be a pygmy. So good weight for a pygmy. I thought maybe a tree branch hit him with the wind but nothing was broke. I just don't know. I wish I knew what was wrong with him:Bawling:. He did get sick when he was little because I did not know about cocci prevention or cocci all together. He got better we fought with the bottle got him on then when it was time got him weaned got him on a all hay diet and he thrived. Then out of the blue I found him like this. Could it be there something wrong on the inside that we just didn't know about? There was nothing I could have done differently.That I know of anyways. Sorry this is long I am just really sad right now and can't figure this out. If it helps any he was 8 months old.

My favorite picture of him.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
That is a beautiful picture of him...he looks like a Prince. I am so sad for your loss and I can't think of any reason you would find him dead like that with no clues. It seems the most common problems are bloat, worms, poison, strangulation. Any chance the hay might be moldy? Maybe he had a heart problem and he just died in his sleep. :(

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
aww im sorry

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a beautiful picture of him...he looks like a Prince. I am so sad for your loss and I can't think of any reason you would find him dead like that with no clues. It seems the most common problems are bloat, worms, poison, strangulation. Any chance the hay might be moldy? Maybe he had a heart problem and he just died in his sleep. :(
The hay wasn't moldy with 2 bucks it gets ate real quick. We give them the small square bales. I am thinking there was something wrong internally because I just can't think of anything else.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
The hay wasn't moldy with 2 bucks it gets ate real quick. We give them the small square bales. I am thinking there was something wrong internally because I just can't think of anything else.
I think sometimes it just happens.. no real reason. I have the most experience with chickens and i know sometimes they just die for no real reason either

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Sometimes we'll never know for sure why a goat died. I'd still suspect that he got laid on by the other goat. I used to have a dog house in one of my pens until I found a dead doeling after a cold night. They ahd a shed and the dog house. They must have all tried to crawl into it. My bucks always sleep together when it's cold out, though I have two sheds in their pen. Same thing with the does and they have four houses in their goat yard.

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like nothing you could have done & I know the worst part for you is not knowing what was wrong with him. I'm sure a vet would look him over & maybe be able to tell you more if you wanted to go that way. Your little buck will be missing him too I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I am so sorry you lost him. I know how hard you fought to save him when he had cocci. Take comfort in the time you had with him and the things you learned. You can now use this knowledge with your other goats to keep them healthy.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Do you free feed hay? If it was really cold, goats need a full belly of quality hay and be in very excellent health to survive, as well as having draft free housing... Sometimes dog houses can get drafty. :( It is also possible that in such small housing that the buck got fed up with sharing space with him, and butted him to death in the doghouse. :(

Sorry for your loss, he was a cutie.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss. I just lost a little guy the weekend before Christmas. He was a runt and we had a really bad cold snap and I think it was to much for him. I cried. It was my first goat loss and I felt so bad.

·
Small scale homesteader
725 Posts
Are there snakes in your area? Or black widow spiders? Just a possibility..

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you free feed hay? If it was really cold, goats need a full belly of quality hay and be in very excellent health to survive, as well as having draft free housing... Sometimes dog houses can get drafty. :( It is also possible that in such small housing that the buck got fed up with sharing space with him, and butted him to death in the doghouse. :(

Sorry for your loss, he was a cutie.
It was insulated dog houses used to house mastiffs so they are huge. Yes they were free feed hay.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Aw hon, I am so sorry. He was such a handsome boy. Can you have a necropsy done?Maybe that would set your mind at ease if you knew what happened, if it can indeed be found.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
One of my goat customers called yesterday to report one of her wethers (not from me) had died overnight without warning. Was playing the night before, the next morning gone. Did a necrospy, was pneumonia. There are "silent" forms of this that can kill a goat with no prior outward symptoms.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts