Primitive housing and homesteading in Iraq...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Have been reading a few posts about primitive type housing situations and thought I'd share some photos of the year my brother spent in Iraq (he came home a year ago this May).

When he got there he and three other guys inherited a shack. My brother made quite a few improvements on it...it's built around their communications truck out of any and everything they could get their hands on. He even rigged up a shower/washing machine contraption that was quite the envy of the other guys on base who were not quartered in military housing.

He did most of their cooking and even planted a garden (you can see the flowers he planted in the first photo). I used to get emails from him that said "send more taters and onions". LOL...you can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy!

[​IMG]

My brother is the one holding the coffee mug. This was right after they arrived at their new "home":

[​IMG]

My brother is wearing the army teeshirt. This is the dining room. You can see the communications truck behind them. They had a very short commute to work:

[​IMG]

2. Windy_jem

Windy_jem Well-Known Member Supporter

3. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

How cool! Well.... ???? not actually cool weather.. but Cool 'home'!:):)

4. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

lol, they need a camera with stronger flash for the colored folks to show up i guess, this one just aint cutting it.