Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on books or basic reference manuals on getting read to keep pigs? I don't want a huge operation, just a bred sow or a two.

Need to know things like suggested shelter & turn-out set-ups, optimal feeding plans, basic health stuff (how to identify illnesses & treat easy stuff), etc.

Can you happily keep a sole pig? Can pigs be turned out with horses provided the area is large enough and safely fenced? I have 3.5 acres of electric tape fence that is very HOT and visible - would it be dangerous to let a pig pasture with 2 horses in that area? Any danger to either species from illnesses or parasites transferred from one to the other??

I'm mostly interested in durocs.

(and what the heck is the difference between red and white hogs?? Yes, I'm reading a LOT in the archives here to try to learn...)

THANK YOU!

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
hoofinitnorth said:
Any suggestions on books or basic reference manuals on getting read to keep pigs? I don't want a huge operation, just a bred sow or a two.

Need to know things like suggested shelter & turn-out set-ups, optimal feeding plans, basic health stuff (how to identify illnesses & treat easy stuff), etc.

Can you happily keep a sole pig? Can pigs be turned out with horses provided the area is large enough and safely fenced? I have 3.5 acres of electric tape fence that is very HOT and visible - would it be dangerous to let a pig pasture with 2 horses in that area? Any danger to either species from illnesses or parasites transferred from one to the other??

I'm mostly interested in durocs.

(and what the heck is the difference between red and white hogs?? Yes, I'm reading a LOT in the archives here to try to learn...)

THANK YOU!
References:A.) Storey's Guide to raising Pigs, available at many booksellers.
B.) Dirt Hog, Order Toll Free at 1-800-355-5313 or shop online at www.acresusa.com

Never house a hog with another mammal that is, or may be, birthing.
Red hogs tend to have thicker hair coats, and do well at producing pork. They generally tend to be breeds that can readily adapt to pasture or outdoor housing, but will work in any system.
White hogs tend to have less hair, and while they can adapt to simple outdoor housing, are generally less likely to be bred for that purpose.
White hogs like the Yorkshire excel at having large litters and being good mothers.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I've raised several pigs for the table one at a time. All were Durocs. Not penned. Got attention from me. All loved belly rubs.

I raised a Hampshire piglet for a pet. Only pig at the time. Raised him in the house (he could go outside on his own and return whenever he wanted to) until he got too large. As an adult, he was 800 pounds; his back was 45 inches off the ground. He then free ranged with the rest of the stock. He hitched to a cart and took me for rides.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!

We don't have any breeding horses here but one is very big and another is smaller but a little wiley. ;) Wonder if they would be safe together in a large area as I described... Have about 3.5 acres with 2-color, very visible, very hot, electric tape fence. I imagine that if the hogs did well with horses they'd do ok if I also had larger sheep or goats???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts