Pricing

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MaKettle, Jul 20, 2004.

1. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

When I had goats a few years back, I sold the 3 month old kids for $25 each. These were just little scrub goats. Thinking it would be fun to run after escapees again, I found that an average grade dairy doe sells for $75. Now I am very curious. What would be the average price in your area? What might be the average price for a registered doe? Do people with goats offer stud service, and what do you charge?

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Well, I have purebred Nubians & Lamanchas & also grades. I also have Pygmies.

Prices:

Purebred Nubians or Lamanchas:

Does- $100 for kids & $150 for most adults
    Bucks- $75 for kids & $100 for most adults

Grades:

Does- $75 for kids & $100 for adults
    Bucks- $50 for kids (I usually do not keep any into adulthood)

Pygmies:

Does- $50 for kids & $75 for adults
    Bucks- $40 for kids (usually do not keep them until adulthood)

I do offer stud service, but only to people I know well. I do not want to chance bringing in any disease or sickness from a strange herd. I usually charge $25.

These prices can of course change depending on how many a person buys or if it's a particularly good line or milker.

Not sure if this is average or not, but I usually have no trouble selling them. The Pygmies go quick!

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought 3 registerd Nubian doe kids (purebred) this year, I paid $325, $200, and $150. I'm in the Ozarks.

4. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

We have a purebred registered alpine 4 year old doe that we got a steal on at $75.
    We also have a nubian grade doe for $75
    and our wonderful registered ober doe was $250

We havenot been able to find a buck for stud service for the ober so we are looking to buy one.

Belinda

5. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

Recorded grade Toggenburgs $50 for kids. $200.00 for milking does first fresheners.
    $200.00 for a American Toggenburg doe 4 yr old in milk. $150.00 for Toggenburg buck kid. Really good bloodlines on all. I live in SW MO Ozarks. I have purchased these within the last 6 months. Six total for $850.00.

6. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

All the above prices seem fair. I have seen goats much lower and much higher. It depends on the quality of the animal and how anxious (or not) the owner is to get rid of them. I have had goats given to me, and I have bought goats that I later found out were worth more than I actually paid for them. I have also bought goats that I was later disappointed in. Dairy goats should be of good health, tameness, and good udder or, if a doeling or buck then from excellent milking lines (an see their mother's udder is possible). Meat goats should be healthy and of course "beefy". Avoid horned goats. They will constantly hang up in the fence. Yippee if you find a naturally polled doe (which should not cost more). She will throw occasional polled (hornless) kids. But never breed a polled buck to a polled doe or nasty genetic defects and/or death happen to the kids.

7. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

Thanx folks. Looks as though the pricing I saw in the paper is about an average.
    It's good to know.