Pricing Differences?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ceresone, Dec 6, 2006.

1. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Wondering why some seeds can be 8.95 per ounce in one catalog, and only 3.95 per ounce in another? I've always loved Territorial Seeds, but I'm afraid they've priced theirs outside my "ballpark"this year. but, just wondering, Why's there such a difference in price on the same seeds?

2. HomesteadBaker

HomesteadBaker Working toward the dream

I don't know why the price differences are so great, probably something to do with name recognition of the company and advertising expenses. I have found a company that sells seeds at very low prices, and you can choose from several different packet sizes, too.

www.fedcoseeds.com

Fedco is a company with a conscience and ethics. I have dealt with them for almost 15 years now and never had a problem with either service or seeds.

Kitty <----- already planning next years' garden with Fedco seed!!!!!

3. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

4. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I buy 99% of my seed from Fedco for those reasons. The new catalog came Monday. I'm going to sit down with eggnog and look at it tonight. Fedco is a co-op. It's not a big fancy over priced place with high overhead. And lunch always smells good when I pick up my seeds. The folks who work there must be really good cooks!

5. HomesteadBaker

HomesteadBaker Working toward the dream

WooHoo!!! I guess the Pony Express will soon be delivering my copy here in the outback!!! :hobbyhors I love reading the Fedco catalogs... always interesting. And you can see color photos of most of the plants/flowers online, too.... you can even order online if you like.

I also buy almost all of my seeds and seed potatoes from them. They dropped Seminis Seeds as a supplier because Monsanto ("terminator" seed technology, among other horrors) bought them out... talk about ecological concern and ethics on Fedco's part!!! My DH is a convert now, too, especially since he witnessed first hand the great germination and productivity of Fedco's seeds. :goodjob:

6. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I bought from heirloom acres last year and found that my pea and squash seeds were crossed. the peas produced 2 different peas, one was definetly a snow pea and one was shaped and produced a shelling pea. (they were supposed to be Mamoth snow peas) I got a mix of winter squash from the same pk too. The squashes were mixed in color and shape. I was going to save seeds from the seeds I bought from them but lost that years seed saving. I ordered from mountain valley seeds this year for the 4th time.
    Forgot , I also noticed that my blue lake pole beans , produced some flat pods, simalar to roma flat types.
    heirloom acres is the only seed company I have had so much trouble with cross bred seeds.

7. ceresone

Humm, can't order a Fedco catalog online--

8. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

That surprised me a bit.
    But you can call or write for one, and you can download it from their website, too. http://www.fedcoseeds.com/

We get topgether with a groupl of gardening friends in January and do a group order from Fedco. We usually get a discount due to the size of order, and sometimes share seeds that we might not otherwise try. FEDCO encourages this, and will send out the order presorted, making this a good way to order seeds. We also order from other companies at the same time, and it is a good way to save on postage if a couple people each want just one or two items from another company, so we do joint orders from lots of companies, and divide up seeds when they come in. Always get ideas for new varieties to try, or maybe to skip based on someone elses experience.

9. ceresone

Doggone it--lol--the one i had about decided to order from WAS heirloom acres--but i had enough stuff that i planted last year, that didnt grow true. and i think most, since thats about all i plant, were from heirloom seed companies--

10. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Back to the pricing issue. Some companies like Burpee and Parks spend mega bucks to develop new varieties, crosses, strains, and to add disease resistance, etc. Parks also has one of the best sealed shipping envelopes to preserve viability in my opinion. I'm willing to pay extra for research, and some extra for better seed envelopes to maintain viability.

I am well aware that many of you don't like hybrids. However I'm reminded of a post a couple of years ago telling that the persons heirloom variety had succumbed to disease while their hybrid was producing a great crop.

As a former wheat farmer I have also seen the result of hybrids, wheat yields going from near 20 bushels per acre to near 40 in 25-30 years. I do understand that there is some nutrient loss with the greater yields. I'm of the opinion that both hybrids and open pollinated varieties have their place.

As to paying more to some companies for their seeds----
    This is similar to me shopping a certain stores where I live just to help keep them in business even if they do charge a little more for the mom and pop feel to the store. An auto parts house is a great example. While the national chains carry parts for less, the old line store carries parts you actually need and not a lot of chrome plastic trinkets to bolt onto your car or whatever in your feeble attempt to impress someone. The countermen are professionals that fully know their business and not just some kid off of the street that will move on as soon as a better job comes along. Nice to see the same faces time after time