Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Seeking Type
2,102 Posts
For a Jersey, yes. The animal would have to be from some really good cow family, something HIGH quality. If its an average calf, id say 500-750 or so. Depends on its health/quality. But 1500-2000? Sounds like he is looking for a steal. Some people see buyers coming, that they KNOW they can one up on, dont fall for it.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Could be he really didn't want to sell, but would be willing to part with a heifer calf if you were willing to pay that much. lol We'd part with a heifer calf for that much. lol
The registered Jersey heifer calves that went through the sale in January ranged from $375 to $850 for 6 months and under. This was a herd dispersal sale. Even the JerAngus heifer calves went for over $150 a piece.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Golly gosh, I was given two Jersey bull calves a month ago and have a couple of little heifers coming - also for free. Not registered but surplus to requirements from a well bred herd.

Even from the other side of the world I would say at that price you are being ripped off big time - and you've still go to rear it! The most money I've ever paid for a Jersey cow was $600.00. She was pedigree with a calf at foot but had calved out of season. Over here Jersey cows sold as a herd can fetch good money but a single cow has little value and a calf even less. I'm sure you could do much better for your money.

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Registered
375 Posts
All I can say is, I'm glad I found my Jersey baby close to home and much cheaper than that! Good grief, for that price you should be able to buy a grown cow.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Around here unregistered Jersey heifer calves are running $400-$600 at a few days old through the auction. If I was considering paying that through the auction where they can pick up anything, I'd be willing to pay a little more than that for a healthy heifer off the farm. But I wouldn't pay anything near what he is asking.
A lot of the heifer prices quoted in this thread are *very* cheap though and you probably won't find anything like that.

·
Twin-Reflection Nubians
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks! I thought that was a bit much. Anyone know where I could get a nice Jersey heifer calf. I mean not now but next calving season. My little brother wants to show one and I thought it wold be nice to have around for the milk. (I could also probably feed her on the quality alfalfa my goats waste! :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
375 Posts
First, check to see if there are any Jersey dairies around you by going to this website:

http://www.jerseydirectory.com/?=UnitedStates/

See what they have, and if they're willing to sell anything.

Or do what I did and watch this message board. I got my calf from Jerzeygurl. From the prices I've seen here, I guess I did pretty well. After we'd had the calf home we found out the tips of her ears had been frostbit (it wasn't noticeable for a few days), and they offered to give us our money back when they found out about it, plus the cost of milk replacer we'd given her. Good, upstanding people; I'd do business with them any time. But we don't feel the ear damage hurt the calf's value at all, and I surely didn't intend to give my baby up. Doesn't she look cute with her cowbell?

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
I paid $800 for a jersey heifer who we all have decided was about 12 mos old when I picked her up (had her for 2 mos now). I bought her from a small organic farm that had a herd of approx. 15 Jerseys, including two bulls. I stopped by the vet with her on the way home to have her palpated and vaccinated. She weighed 604 pounds, so I paid about $1.32/ lb. for her. That's about what the beef calves at the sale barn were going for at the time, so I think I paid a fair price. In my area, where there are hardly any big dairies, it is hard to find a gentle milk cow, heifer or even baby calf! I was THRILLED to find her and gladly coughed up the $800 :)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I bought a half jersey, half hostein heifer calf last month for $300. Private owner, who had both parents, and wanted her to go to as a family milker - not to a commercial dairy. I posted a picture awhile back - she's very friendly, and was raised on her mother for ten weeks.

I know we scored on this one. After the previous experience (free-martin), we had paid our dues, I think. My sons and husband are in love with her - she's beautiful AND friendly. I can't wait to breed her and have milk someday, and the guys already have plans for a second cow.....

Niki

·
Registered
100 Posts
trnubian, What part of Indiana are you from? I know a family who raise and milk Jerseys not far from here. The kids brought a few to the fair, one was a four or five month old I believe, the other was adult. Not sure how many they have but maybe you could buy one from them.

·
Twin-Reflection Nubians
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sunraven said:
trnubian, What part of Indiana are you from? I know a family who raise and milk Jerseys not far from here. The kids brought a few to the fair, one was a four or five month old I believe, the other was adult. Not sure how many they have but maybe you could buy one from them.
I live in North Central Indiana. About an hour straight North of Indanapolis.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Up North said:
farmergirl - Just curious, was she open or pregnant? If not yet bred, a Jersey of that weight is eligible for breeding.
Well, that's the $64,000 question! LOL The vet palpated...and palpated...and palpated some more, only to finally decide that she was definitely not bred. But she hasn't come in since we've had her and both I and a ranching friend think we notice a LITTLE change in how her bag is hanging.....wishful thinking? or wrong diagnosis 2 mos ago? Stay tuned...time will tell :)

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
farmergirl said:
Well, that's the $64,000 question! LOL The vet palpated...and palpated...and palpated some more, only to finally decide that she was definitely not bred. But she hasn't come in since we've had her and both I and a ranching friend think we notice a LITTLE change in how her bag is hanging.....wishful thinking? or wrong diagnosis 2 mos ago? Stay tuned...time will tell :)
A heifer that is out on good grass can develop a little bit of udder from bodyfat or from kicking at flies, so I wouldn't draw much conclusion from that. At $800 she's a good value either way.
If you really want to know if she is PG, they do make a test kit you can do by mail that is reasonable cost. Sort of a cow EPT, if you will.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.