Price

Discussion in 'Goats' started by brierpatch1974, Jun 17, 2006.

1. brierpatch1974

brierpatch1974 Well-Known Member

I was just wondering what dairy goat farmers get for their milk per gallon or by weight when they sale to large companies. Whats the going price?
    Also I just sold 3 wethers at the local auction. These beef farmers kept giving me mean looks and joking about having goats. They shut up when my boer/sanaan cross wether brought $1.35 a lb. Was 10 cents more than what their average cattle sold for. Their was a few beef that got better than that but not many lol.

BP

2. brierpatch1974

anyone? no asnswers at all?

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I don't know if there's anyone on here who sells goat milk to a commercial processing plant. You might keep bumping your thread for a couple of days, and see if anyone has an answer for you.

Kathleen

4. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I don't sell milk to the big plants (yet) but I talk to some folks who do. Prices go from $22 to $34 a hundredweight for Grade B depending on time of year. Winter pays highest since goat milk is seasonal. Some plants pay a bonus for butterfat, protein & low somatic count like a cow creamery, some just buy flat rate milk.
    For a perspective, Grade B cow milk is $9.50/cwt around here. Yep, the dairy farmers stop laughing too!

Almost all goat milk is grade B manufacturing grade. The Grade A market is very limited.

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Our price fluctuates. Right now we are getting between $22.75 and $23.50 per hundred pounds. We do get a bonus for low bacteria count. We have only missed that twice, and that was when our tank wasn't washing properly.

6. brierpatch1974

Thanks for the replies, I wonder how many goats are being milked by the farms selling to these companies just to make it worth while?

BP