Price your paying for feeder pigs.....

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by tenacres, Aug 9, 2005.

1. tenacres

tenacres Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity from another thread, what are ya'll paying for a feeder pig in your area? We're in Idaho and paying around $50.

2. craisbeck

craisbeck "Simple Life"

In the West Virginia pan handle we are paying $75.00. Your choice of a barrow or gilt. Pigs come cut and with shot's. These are good pigs, they grower had a lot at the fair last week.

3. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

mostly around $50-$60 in western NY, have seen some as low as $35

4. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

$40.00 here in river valley arkansas/3 week olds/about 12 lbs

5. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Interesting thread. How much is paid for weaners over here is dictated by where abouts in the country, the amount of pig breeders in that locality and the time of the year. When the dairy herds start to come in the price of weaners can go up. On average though, in rural areas they are between $NZ50-65.00, closer to cities they can fetch up to $NZ85.00

Siryet, do you really buy 3 week old weaners? Although I can wean at four weeks, they never leave the property until they are 8 weeks old. I like to sell a well-grown piglet that is feeding well and I can almost guarantee will not keel over on it's new owner. The result is that I have got a reputation for selling a good pig and the demand exceeds the supply - and that's the way I like it.

Oh, and by the way, I sell mine for $NZ65.00.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

6. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

I sold my tamworths for $75 a piece.

7. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Around here $45.00-$65.00 depending on size and quality.

8. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

I found all the pigs around here (cept for show & 4H) were $35 good. bad or ugly.. all were $35 just have to know what your wanting and looking at. I'm about 45 min NE Of Houston

9. rcornish

rcornish Well-Known Member

Around this area for a weaned pig that is between 4 and 8 weeks, usually toward the later side of that range, and a weight of somewhere around 25-35 (maybe more) pounds, a good price is around $30-$35. I find it interesting that a lot of this conversation didn't indicate an age/weight they were buying. I know at the livestock market, as the weight goes up the price follows. Now the price per pound usually goes down, but overall you pay more, especially on something that approaches 100 pounds (they would run closer to $60-70).

An interesting thing happened around here back in July. I think feeder prices were a little low because of the dry conditions effecting corn and soybean production. Then came the remnants of Dennis which put some moisture on those crops. The next feeder pig sale prices jumped from around that $30-$35 mark to closer to the $50-$60 mark for the same size. Since then, we are back to dry conditions and the price has settled back down. I am just speculating that caused the spike, as there was nothing else I can see that was cause a drastic flucuation like that.

10. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

Your right.. I forgot to mention the feeders I got(3) were all approx 6 weeks old... $35

11. Lararose

Lararose Adams Nebraska

Pigs are pretty cheap around here all year. We bought ours at auction 45.00 for a gilt at 33 pounds. Shots,wormed and tail cut. She went a few dollars higher than the others in the lot, as she was an extremely nice looking pig. We bought her in May and she is a really BIG girl now.