Price up on stock calves

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by jennifer_b, Mar 16, 2004.

1. jennifer_b

jennifer_b Member

Hello. I am new to this site and we have a small herd of stock cows. They had calves in September and we just recently took our bull calves to the local stock market. They brought a whopping average of $1.37 a pound. We had 13 calves and got $5,200. they averaged around 350 lbs. We live in VA and I would strongly suggest that if anyone is ready to sell, now is the time. Im not sure why the price of them are up but it is. Just wanted to let everyone know.

Jennifer :)

2. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Jennifer
    Congrars on the sale of the calves. The price was low for our area if they were good quality calves. They were light wt. so the were cheap on a per head basis. Fat cattle on the east coast (Pa.) were $95.85 for high choice cattle going to kosher buyers so there is still a lot of life left in the cattle mkt. I will start calving the 15th of next month so I hope the trend continues!!

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

It's normal for young cattle prices to go up considerably compared to the price of butcher cattle early in the spring. There are always people wanting calves to put out on pasture for the summer. Most resell them in the fall when the grass quits growing. That's when they find out if they made a little money. Most years, you can count on the calves you bought in the spring being quite a bit cheaper than what you paid. Buying light weight calves gives you less pounds to take a discount from the difference in price.