1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
44,789 Posts

·
Expect the unexpected
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have a subscription either but was able to snag this ...

The Biden administration announced Wednesday that it would block shipments of sugar from Central Romana Corporation, a Dominican Republic company that produces sugar sold in the United States under the Domino brand and that has long faced allegations of subjecting its workers to poor labor conditions.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
How much of US consumption of sugar is imported from the Dominican Republic? The Red River valley between MN and ND grows tons of sugar beets every year. I suspect we grow most of our own.
Quite a few (hundreds) acres grown within an hour of me (palm and thumb of Michigan)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
The problem for sugar beets - is that the majority of sugar beets grown are GMO. For companies and consumers that want non-GMO - that can be an issue. Full disclosure - - I'm not saying that I don't use any sugar beet products - but the majority of the sugar I use in my food dishes is from sugar cane (Zulka Morena is the brand sugar I use for granulated sugar).

Here are some articles from a few sources (google "are sugar beets GMO" and it will give pages of various sites).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Same story from differ source without subscription:

Only about 1.6% of the sugar consumed in the US comes from the Dominican Republic

Currently in the US we consume about 11,300,000 metric tons per year.

Sugar imports from the Dominican Republic 180,000 metric tons in 2019.

Azure Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue

·
Registered
20,282 Posts
Might be worth trying.

I know how to make ribbon cane syrup. We used to every year in October. It was quite the get together. All the families would bring in the cane and chip in all weekend. Better than the fair in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
We use some white and brown sugar... there are some things that the other sweeteners we use would change the flavor too much. Mostly we use honey (from our hives), maple syrup/sugar (from our trees) and sorghum syrup (from the sorghum patch we plant each spring).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts