Price of Staples?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by clc79092, Sep 3, 2004.

1. clc79092

clc79092 Member

Has anyone noticed an unusual rise in the price of rice, flour and sugar in their areas. I am in the Tx panhandle and about 2 weeks ago I could get rice 20 lbs for 2.77 the same brand is now 7.97. Flour and sugar have gone up about 20 percent also. I went to the same walmart and about choked when I went to pick up another couple bags of rice. Now I know 7.97 is not alot of money in this day and age but such a jump in 2 weeks and the stuff was not on sale last time I went.

2. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Its not just staples the price of everything in the grocery store has gone up.

3. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

yea I just went looking for a smallbox of air staples and I could only buy a box of 5000! I only neded about 500. So its either buy a 22 buck box of 5000 or none.

4. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Isn't that the most infuriating thing? We need to cut ONE !@#$%^&* hole the outside diameter in the end cap of an infiltrator (a plastic leach field system). Up until the first of November (when the law changes) we can effect "repairs" to our septic system ourselves. After that it requires an engineering study and permits up the wazoo. So guess what we're doing this weekend.

So we don't own the cutter. The husband spent all day yesterday trying to find someone who would cut the hole. None of the pros would touch it because, of course, we're not hiring them at $200/hour to come in and do the work. So finally he broke down and paid $47 for something we'll use once. At least I can dump the thing on ebay and get something back for it. What do you do with 4500 spare staples but put them on a shelf and hope you need them before you drop dead?

Anyhow, I thought prices were going up! I budget a set amount for food each month and we've been steadily creeping into the red. This month, after paying last month's deficite, I have $66 bucks to spend on food in September. You just have to think that isn't going to go too far, since I also need to feed the animals out of that. Going to be a long month of beans and rice.

T

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Comfortablynumb, I agree! I went to Home Depot the other day to get some staples for my power stapler. I could not believe the price they're asking for 'em now! I think the cost has gone up because of short supply. All the people in Florida are buying 'em up so they can cover their windows with plastic. It's hurricane season, dontchaknow.

6. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

MorrisCorner -- did you think about renting the tool needed for the one time job?

Marlene

7. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Oh yes. But "renting the tool" rather implies there is a place to rent if from. Which, unfortunately, there isn't. Probably because there isn't a whole lot of call for this puppy. I mean, in a resort area where people build million dollar trophy homes, there probably isn't a whole lot of call for do it yourself septic systems.

We're doing our best to bring down property values. I think the 1957 Dodge school bus nose in the side yard is the piece de resistance. Lawn art. Hey... someone around here has a big, huge, sculpture on his lawn made out of junk. But because he paid $10,000 for his, and mine came with a collection of old truck parts, his is art and mine is junk. Ha.

I'm going to add an old washing machine to it and put up a nice tasteful little sign so people know the name of the sculpture:

Car Wash :haha: