Price of Highland Heifer?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JAS, Nov 10, 2004.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I saw an ad in the paper for a 18 month purebred Highland heifer bred to calf next spring. Didn't call--not really looking, but what would be a good price for her? And would you recommend something like this to newbies (I grew up on a small farm with about 30 head of cattle but did not get to work/help with them).

How much would I expect to feed her over this winter? and would hay and minerals be enough? Have not looked into this but I am interested. We have a 4 acre pasture so do not have a lot of room and we already have goats on that.

Thanks.

2. Janene in TX

Janene in TX Member

Not sure what she'd be worth--too many variables. What is she bred to? Another Highland or a beef or dairy type cow? What condition is she in? Is she registered? Some folks use them for milkers...she'd be suited well for your winters. I know a gal that really likes a Jersey/Highland cross. Said they are good milkers with a good personality. Beauty & worth are in the eye of the beholder. $700 may be a good deal or $1,200 may be a good deal. Kinda like a used car. No one set price can define them all.
    Do a search online & see what you come up with......Good Luck!!

3. Janene in TX

Janene in TX Member

Sorry I forgot---I don't see why hay & minerals would be fine for the winter. Lots & lots of cows get that....some are lucky to get all that! I would say she would eat 1/2-1 bale of hay a day...depending on how big she is (or isn't). Some cows get along fine with goats & others don't. One wouldn't know until they were actually put together....

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If she is in decent condition, a half bale of hay per day should get her through the winter.

5. Teresa

Teresa Well-Known Member

We just purchased 2 highland heifers, 22 mos old for $650 each. They guy had 4 and a friend of ours who just happens to have a highland bull took two and we took two. Ours are visiting the bull friend now. We didn't shop around at all, they just came along and it seemed like a good deal to us.

6. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Hi, I called! He wanted $600 for her and she is bred to his bull. He has about 15 head, I forgot to ask why he was selling her. I am thinking that is a pretty good price, but until I sell my llamas and get more hay I better wait on this. I will keep his number, hopefully next year.

Is it true it takes two years to raise a beef steer for a highlander compaired to one for bigger breeds?

Thanks.

7. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Sounds like a very good price for a registered female. I raise three Highlands on three acres, a cow, her yearling steer, and last springs steer. The three of them will consume three to five tons of alfalfa from late October to early April. That is about 1/2 bale of first cut alfalfa per day.
    Highlands do take longer to get to butcher size, 20 to 24 months, but the quality and flavor is well worth it. You can finish them on corn, but it isn't necessary, I find the grassfed to be just as flavorful as the corn finished.