Price of hay

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Siryet, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

I was just wondering what ya'll pay for "square" bales of hay in your area. I just purchased 2nd cutting bermuda hay for $2.00 per. I am located 30 miles east of Ft.Smith Arkansas

2. smalls aren't too common here and prices vary a lot big rounds are 15-30 prarie is lowest then fescue then brome then alfalfa nobody here calls anything bermuda but prarie often has some bales are around 1/2 ton

3. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

I think good, first-cut hay here is about $80, a ton, which would be 40, 50 pound bales. That works out to about $2, a bale.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

We have numerous weekly hay auctions in the northern part of Indiana. All the hay sells by the ton. Small squares go higher than the large rounds for similar quality hay. Last week most hay sold between $60 and $100 per ton. The top price would be the top quality alfalfa squares. There is a wide range in the weight of hay bales, but 65 pounds would be about average for small squares here. That would put the bulk of the squares bringing two to three dollars per bale.
    The two main defects in hay here are being baled too damp which makes the bales smell moldy inside. Also baling grass hay too late which makes it very hard to get livestock to eat it even though it looks and smells fine. The main grass used here is orchard grass.

5. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Here in Mid MIchigan our horse hay special mix is going for 4$ per small bale. This is it's first year of cutting.
    mikell

6. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

I'm an hour south of Indianapois near Bloomington, IN where their are a lot of yuppie farmers, horse owners and that may be why prices are so high for me but small square bales of alfalfa are $4.50-6.00 and grass hay is $2 a small square bale. I was raised on a dairy farm and never saw hay sold by the ton in our area. I got good quality alfalfa by going an hour south of here to an Amish auction. $2.20 a bale, but square bale straw was going for 25c a bale. Straw is sold here for $4.50-5.00.

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?"

7. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

AAAKKKK! $3/bale for second cut "hay" of dubious quality and was grateful to get it.. I'm still short (have about 2/3 of what I need) but the summer was so wet everyone is scrambling to get what they can.

8. Allan Mistler

Allan Mistler Just a simple man

New Hampshire too is selling 50# bales of questionable quality for $3 in the field and $4 in the barn. The local Market Bulletin indicates that due to the recent wet Summer, we'll be happy to HAVE hay!

9. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

In the 5th year of drought and we are paying $5 a bale for small, squares of "prairie" hay - okay stuff for cattle not really up to snuff for horses and it will be going up shortly.

10. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

I wish hay were cheaper here (s. CA)! For a 3 string square bale (aprox 100-120 lbs) of either alfalfa or Bermuda grass, it's $10/bale. Timothy is $18/square bale, & orchard grass, $20/square bale.

11. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Here 60# & 80# square bales go for 1.50-2.50. Round bales go for $15-$20. That is buying it from individuals if you buy from a feed store it is $5 per 50# bale.

12. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I've seen 8 CWT round bales of Timothy for $20, and 16 CWT round bales of Timothy and some Alfalfa for $40, both listed in the newspaper. I bought 40 round bales at 15 CWT of mixed whatever: Brome, Timothy, Wild Red Clover, Trefoil, and wild grasses for $35 a bale delivered.

Small square bales are about $2.50 to $3.00 if one's drives to the barn for them. I haven't seen any bales of pure Alfalfa except at the feed store and they're $10.00 per bale.

There is no real good hay around here that I've heard of, most of the good stuff is 70 to 100 miles away, or just not for sale. By-the-by, there was only a single cutting this year here abouts.

13. brosil

brosil Well-Known Member Supporter

NW Ohio $3 per bale reguardless of content. I've found a guy with Half grass and half alfalfa at $2.50 per bale. He may also trade 3 of my straw for a bale of hay which is a good deal to me.

14. mygrayfarm

mygrayfarm Well-Known Member

Last year we gt orchard grass for $5.00/square bale delivered. This year it was $5.00/bale and we picked it up. The quality is much better this year, however!

Good thing the animals aren't real hay-burners...

15. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

We sell our square bales out of the field on the wagon for $1.50 a bale. Once it is in the barn the price goes up to $1.75-$2.00 a bale, depending on if your a regular customer or not. We mostly round bale first cutting and square bale second cutting after we know we have enough for ourselves.

16. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I'm paying $3 for 50# bales of grass hay. That's if I go and get it myself. Alfalfa goes for $10 per 50# bale. I either have to go to eastern Wa (6 hour drive, one way) to get it or just buy it from the feed store - same price either way once you figure in gas.

17. Joy in Eastern WA

Joy in Eastern WA Well-Known Member

I buy hay by the ton and get high quality alfalfa for $75 a ton out of the field. An extra $10 for having it delivered. And, this is for second or third cutting.

18. shepmom

shepmom Well-Known Member

Last year we paid 3.50 for 45-50lb. fescue with lots of briars/trash. Drove over an hour one way to get it. The sheep wasted about 50%.

This year we're buying from a local horse stable (30-40 minutes round trip) that has hay brought in from NY. Timothy with small amt. alfalfa mixed in, about 50 lb bale for $5. (we had to buy some in July because of poor pastures-last years cutting)
    Might be a tad more with this year's cutting that hasn't arrived, yet. She's waiting to figure the shipping cost.

19. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

We buy strictly grass hay usually about 50-55lb bales, we pick up out of the field for the older gentleman and it runs $3 a bale. However for being willing to pick up out of the field and return twice a year we get as many at this price as we can pay for ( and the fact we aren't like some who'll buy from him then resell it for twice the price or more--that really peeves him, because then the little farmers like us get forced into paying too much) and a twice yearly call when it's about a week away from baling. At the feed stores a bale of grass hay runs about $9 and straight alfalfa about $10--these are only 60-65lb bales mind you, so it is far worth it to do the work ourselves. We bought 100 bales this spring for $300 ( other people wanted about an extra $150-200 for that many bales, even with us loading and hauling :no: )