Price of hay in NW AR??

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by jnap31, Oct 12, 2006.

1. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I was wanting to get Holly, and I recently saw a thread in the goat forum where I never go.folks said hay was $100 a bale in TX where it was $25 last year and GA they could not get it, I did not realize that I thought just TX was out of hay so how much is it and how hard is it to get in North west AR? Wondering because I would need to buy hay in jan for holly if I buy her.

2. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Big round bales are going for 25. I paid 3 dollars a bale for rectangular ones from guy near Flippin. I've seen 2.75 in the field near Harrison, and Marion County Feed and Farm Supply has them for 6.00. (don't have tractor so can't deal with the round ones).

Most got 3 cuttings of hay this year, even saw one field get 4. Shouldn't be any problem (nor high price) around here.

Did y'all ever resolve the problem with the oven?

Pat

3. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

My DW cant find the model # Lowes gave me a # and said they would need the model # and then their service center would replace the part if we new the model #, My mother is visiting from the 19th to the 23rd and she will help get it fixed. Thanks for your concern Pat, I hope we can meet sometime Pm me with your # please. I will be going to Newton county (never been there just to boxley) to pick up a dexter bull in Jan that I am buying I think that is in your neighborhood right? I am glad toi hear that hay is available DW told me it rained when I called often times so I figured the grass was growing though I heard east of me it was drier.

4. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Pat I dont have a tractor either I have an old truck the farmers loaded it up and the trailer made out of an old truck and I just tied rope around the bales and then to a tree or post and drove forward to off load.

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Been doing that for YEARS now...... :)

6. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

LOL and I thought I was being original

7. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey, when lack of tractor is a factor......we all do what we gotta do. :) We have gotten real good at man-handling(usually its woman-handling) those big round bales into position....even the big squares lately! :rolleyes:

8. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

The availability of hay depends on your location. North of me I am told that hay is available, some as low as $20 per big round bale. I am also getting reports of $45 and $50 hay, and along the N. E. Texas/Ok border it is not available locally at all.

I am currently selling some poor quality prairy hay for $35 per 5x6 bale and have it all spoken for. Friend is baling good crabgrass hay with the intent of hanging on to it until up in the winter when people need it and are willing to pay for it.
    Ox

9. sunnygrl

sunnygrl Well-Known Member

My mom had her prarie hay cut this year and baled into round bales. The farmers around the area told her not to take less than $40 dollars for the 1000 lb. bales. We're in SE Kansas

10. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

Here in mid-Missouri there isn't any hay to be found! Even worse ... ponds are nearly dry. We've been driving the backroads looking for anyone who seems to have extra hay still standing in the fields. No Luck! Some farmers are already taking their cattle to market...but won't sell their hay.
    We only have a small herd of 14 cows...have spent a lot of time and money selecting young angus heifers and most have just had their fall calf. We thought we bought enough hay but didn't expect to feed in Sept & Oct. We thought the rain would come and revive our pastures. But no...so we are having to feed hay.

Yesterday we bought some range cubes and will try to stretch our hay by feeding supplemental feed. In the meantime we will keep looking for affordable hay. We would hope that a farmer with hay to sell would not take advantage of the shortages and double the price of hay. This summer large bales of mixed grasses we paid $20 a bale...same as last year.

If you live around Kansas City, MO and have some good quality hay you want to sell....please PM me! Thanks!

11. Donna from Mo

Donna from Mo Well-Known Member

We have a limited amount of alfalfa, small bales. I did PM you.