Price of fuel wood

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mike in Pa, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Anyone know what cut and split wood goes for these days? I'm in SW PA. Sell by the truck?
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

We're in northern/western Maryland and we paid about $125 per cord for seasoned oak, cut, split, and delivered.

3. Mike in Pa

hmmm. Is a cord 4x6'? Does the type wood really matter? Obviously not pine.

4. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

4x4x8

Hre it is $45 a pickup load delivered.

5. Mike in Pa

I think I liked the 125.00 better :D I'm looking to sell some possibly.

6. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Hmmmm.... $125 a cord. 4X4X8. Cordwood house... That would make an 8 X 8 wall, 2 foot thick.

That's less than $2 a square foot... I can't buy facing stone or brick that cheap.

I think I'd gladly pay someone $125.... especially if they could de-bark the wood for me - and they can still keep it in rounds if they want! :)

Just how far will you deliver???? :)

7. Mike in Pa

If you happen to be my next door neighbor I'd deliver all the way to your house :D

8. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Yes, 4x4x8. A pick load is not a full cord. I would say it's about a half, usually. Around here, oak gets the best price. Mixed hardwoods goes for a little less. You can get a truck load of fruit tree branches for about $50. Of course, the best deal for the supplier of the wood is wrap 6 or 8 pieces in shrink wrapped plastic and sell it at the gas stations closer to the city for $5.99. People snatch that up.

9. indypartridge

indypartridge Well-Known Member Supporter

I live about an hour south of Indy. The last cord of wood I bought, oak, was $90, but I had to pick it up (Two pickup loads, full-sized bed). Delivered, the average price is about $150 a cord.

10. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

1 cord is 2 8ft pickup loads....or 3 6ft...

Oak takes the longest to dry so be careful if you expect to burn this coming winter it wont be ready. Ash can be burnt green, maple checks up well, fruit woods are the best bang for your buck. Split wood dries faster...increased surface area.

Here in Maine 6 month dry cut split delivered is $165 green $140.

Tree length is $85 cord green unless you buy in volume. We got ours for $70 by going in on 120 cord. Ever seen a wood mountain?
    The mountain the wood came from is now naked.

In winter, people are able to get $75 - $100 a truckload for dry wood, cut split delivered.

11. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Firewood made a huge price jump in the last year. Face cords of split & seasoned firewood (ready to burn) sold for $60 - $100 face cord delivered. A Face cord is 4' x 8' x 16".

During the winter, the price pulp mills paid for loggers cords of maple hardwood went up to $125 for a full cord 4' x 4' x 8'.
    This effectively bumped the prices up for firewood.

In this weeks local paper, there are still some people selling firewood at only $70 a face cord delivered.

I suspect the price for a face cord of firewood to be around $75 - $125 delivered this coming winter.

12. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

In SD we get wood for $110 a small dump truck load (about 2 cords). That is split, cut and delivered. This is a mix of aspen and pine.

Cheryl in SD