Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We still have to buy firewood for this winter as the wood from our property will not be seasoned in time (have not been here long enough). Is $183/cord of seasoned hardwood (hickory and oak) - delivered - reasonable? It is split but needs further splitting for wood stove use.

We got wood from this person last winter but we only bought a couple of pick up truck loads as we only got our wood stove towards the end of winter. His prices for a pick up truck load were in the same ball park as everyone else's but I cannot find a good price comparison per cord. The wood we got last winter was great quality, seasoned, all oak and when he delivered it, it was stacked neatly in the bed of his pick up. So we expect it will be similar quality this year.

·
Premium Member
41,013 Posts
When I wore a much younger mans shoes I cut, split and delivered a lot of firewood trying to feed the kiddies... 60 bucks a cord.... but then that was during the late seventies... the Carter years. :eek: in todays world 180 to 200 sounds about right. fuel back then was still under a dollar, a new stihl farmboss 125 bucks or so. smokes were 4 bucks a carton and beer was 8 bucks a case... that was my sale price, dry counties have their advantages. ;)

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Here it is $100 a Cord but too much of it around Free to be buying. We got ours on Government Land. Can't imagine you not being able to do the same there.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
How much was your pick up load?
I stack a rick, just over 1/3 of a cord, on a truckload.
Around here its generally $50-$60 a rick and about $130-$160 a cord.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Most around us that buy their firewood get it from the local Amish sawmills. I think it goes for $20-25 a pick up load. This is usually the exterior slices off of hardwood, oak, hickory, cherry, cut in 12-18 inch slabs.

We've never tried it. We have too much hardwood on our property not to harvest our own but we were tempted last winter when we ran low on wood towards the end of winter. Not much fun harvesting wood when it is 10 degrees outside.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
How much was your pick up load?
I stack a rick, just over 1/3 of a cord, on a truckload.
Around here its generally $50-$60 a rick and about $130-$160 a cord.

The pick up load was $80. There many people who will deliver firewood in the $70-$90 range and not all of them deliver seasoned wood (even though they swear it is seasoned). He was also the only one we saw that had the pick up neatly stacked, not just thrown in. So I think he is decent and that is why we want to buy from him again, but I just had no reference point for a cord.

We should not have to buy any wood for next winter :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not sure how much you are looking to buy but I have found if you order multiple cords the price is often a little lower. The prices you are seeing seem in the same ballpark as what I have found here in central Ohio. Especially for Hickory and Oak which make for excellent firewood.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A face cord around here (where my home is) is $90-100 but 35 miles to the south where my "Camp" is the going rate is more like $50-60.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
$100 a cord delivered. Its ends a pieces from a pole and log house business. Some pieces I will have to cut down to size but most are good.

All nice and dry.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Just wondering if you have any old downed trees or standing dead? We just moved into the house this year and don't have much for wood put up either, but I've been cutting up a lot that's been down a couple years and pretty decently seasoned..

Reactions: bigjon

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Yes..check into State land for a permit to cut downed trees for free. If you have the time and truck, saw etc to do it. Around here..in upstate northern PA it is around $180 a full cord. cut and split. We buy 18-20 tons of pole length logs and cut and or split ourselves. Hubby does most by himself..by "hand" and occ. we will rent a log splitter. Not sure how many cords it actually makes..but it does make a huge pile of firewood at a cost or $750 for this. Been buying like this for many years..beginning price in 1980 was $200...the good old days..eh ?? Check it out..it might just work for you..

·
Registered
529 Posts
A cord of tan oak or madrone split and delivered here is 300.00 green 350.00 dry. IF you can get someone to do it. Mostly they grow other things for about a grand a pound.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Around here it is around $50-65 a face cord , Husband has been cutting most of it from our property and across our access road they have over 300 acers and they gave him permission to cut along there property , we tag team it most of the time he cuts and splits i stack on trailer and help unload, we will work several hours at a time but that is our only source for heat so we have to have it,,

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just wondering if you have any old downed trees or standing dead? We just moved into the house this year and don't have much for wood put up either, but I've been cutting up a lot that's been down a couple years and pretty decently seasoned..
It would be nice if we had down trees. We only have 3-4 acres of wooded land on our property and the prior owners must have removed downed trees because there are not any (they did not have any wood burning stove or fireplaces and were more into keeping a manicured place than anything else, so I assume they just removed them for "cosmetic" reasons). You would think there would be 1 or 2 trees down ... lol.

·
Registered
143 Posts
We've never tried it. We have too much hardwood on our property not to harvest our own but we were tempted last winter when we ran low on wood towards the end of winter. Not much fun harvesting wood when it is 10 degrees outside.
Under 10 degrees is the best time. The wood splits easy when it's cold.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts