Price of chain loops

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HermitJohn, Dec 23, 2003.

1. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Needed a new chainsaw loop. (Oregon H66 or equivalent) This is for a 16 inch bar. Ok, wally world doesnt have it. TSC does but wanted $21.95 plus tax. HUH!!!! Last time I bought a loop of chain for this saw, I gave $8 on sale. That was about 3 years ago. Has chain went up this much. I stopped at Home Depot also. They have their own house brand and no conversion chart or catalog, you just have to know how many links and make a guess based on looks. What I thought was equivalent to H66 was also $22.

There is a small hardware-lumber chain 40 miles the other direction that used to be cheapest around and it custom made loops of Stihl chain. Thats where I got the $8 loop. I'll stop there next time I'm down that way. My notion is that for $22 you should get a loop of chain and a cheap bar thrown in or maybe 3 loops of chain.

2. june02bug

june02bug Well-Known Member

I read this to find out what you were talking about.... I know nothing about chain saws... but I have noticed TSC can be pricey for alot of things. Home Depot and Walmart are usually the cheapest for whatever around here. I am also leary of trusting what I'm told at TSC after getting some no so correct info.

3. Gunner

Gunner Member

Hermit,
    I buy my chains through Madsen's. They are a pro logger supply outfit, but can take care of us non-pro cutters pretty well. They run a full time deal on Oregon chain loops. Buy one, get one free. You will need to tell them some particulars such as the correct link count. Their number is 800 822-2808. Web address is www.madsens1.com They put out a great catalog that is filled with lots of scoop as well.

4. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

while we are on the subject (sort of) has anyone ever used or heard anything about carbide-tip chains?

5. johnkl

johnkl Well-Known Member

I just caught a sale at a local hardware store. 2---18" chains, Stihl brand, for $24.