Price of beans.....wow...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by margo, Jun 11, 2004.

1. margo

margo Well-Known Member

We just drove out this evening to get a gallon or so of strawberries at a local grower market. I asked out of curiosity, what they wanted for a bushel of their green beans. They were in excellent condition, with no brown spots, good size. 30.00 american. Ouch!!!? I said thanks.
    Told hubby that if it rains more, I will still be out in the garden up to my knees in mud, trying to grow our beans. I was staggered by the going price. What's it like in your local markets? .........Margo

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

That is $1 per pound. Have you checked the local produce display at the supermarket? I expect that is the going rate, but I would expect a quantity discount. Of course on the other hand the quality would offset the scroungy dead beans you find at the supermarket.

3. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

My friend who truck farms sells her greenbeans at the local farmers' market for $2.00 per pound - 2 years ago. She may have gone up by now. I quit buying at that price.

4. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Guess I have been out of touch with prices like that of the green beans and some other produce. We have had a garden most years, and I usually buy some fruit for canning and have a pretty good idea what is "normal" for those. perhaps that is not too high, considering, and yeah,boy, I have seen the "farm fresh" offerings in the grocers, and just walk on by.

5. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

green beans where 97cents a pound last week when i shopped, and they werent that appealing.. i paid the same price for a head of iceberg lettuce and had it go bad in two spots in two days..

Lynn in Texas

6. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

The small quantity yuppie pricing structure at farmers market is nice for the grower, but horrible for somebody on limited income without place to grow their own.

Majority of produce sold in supermarket is very low quality despite their efforts at spray painting it to make it look nice. It amazes me that people actually buy it, especially at high prices marked on it.

7. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

About $18-20, or so, a bushel. They also routinely get 14/bushel for purple hull peas down here.