price in NE for heifer calf

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Key, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Holstein/Jersey red & white heifer calf about 4 weeks old is for sale close to me. I know the seller. He is asking $250. Fair?

Also has two brown swiss, aged 8 weeks, started on grain and hay...how much are they worth for this area (PA)?

These are not show-quality, but they look healthy and I know they aren't freemartins.

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

That is an excellent price in my opinion and I'd snap it up if she is healthy.

3. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I think I will, Emily. The red & white looks good, but I always like a second opionon on a price. Looks like I found a pasture mate for my other calf...

I bought a newborn Angus hefier cross at auction in the summer for $140 so $250 for this other one orginally seemed steep. Any aucton purhcase is certainly a risk. My Angus cross is healthy, but I am thinking about getting her "tubed" to make sure she isn't a freemartin. Not sure how accurate the vet is at telling that though.....so anyways, I thought I better find my Angus calf a friend, and try to buy off someone I know this time.

4. brouwer

brouwer Well-Known Member

I would say that is a good price. Newborns are selling around this area for $200-$250 per head.

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

In this area calves that are 100lbs, heifers at the auction go for 200-600.00.

Jeff

6. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

sounds like a great price to me.