price for rabbits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by lscheopner, Mar 28, 2006.

1. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

What price do you get for your pedigreed baby rabbits? My son has papered baby cals he wants to sell but not sure what to ask for them. He paid $35 for his does and $45 for his buck but they are adults. We are going to be swimming in rabbits soon and want to get some sold. He is doing this for FFA. What do you get for unpapered babies? Thanks all the help would be appreciated.

Laina

2. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't sold any, but I've bought rabbits. The most expensive one was a pedigreed Standard Rex with show winners all up and down her family tree who is a show prospect. I paid $65 for her. For pedigreed rabbits that don 't have show winners behind them, I'm guessing $25 would be a good price if they are decent looking rabbits for the breed. $10 or so if they had no papers.The average for pedigreed rabbits good enough to show but not outstanding probably in the $35-45 range. I've paid all of those prices for rabbits.

Jennifer L.

3. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

I think it depends on whether they are show quality or meat quality or dog food quality. That's what makes pricing rabbits tricky. Not all kits from show quality rabbits are going to be show quality. Good Luck!

4. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

Baby rabbits? How young are the rabbits?
    I would think the age of the rabbit would also be a factor in determining
    a price.

5. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

We will more than likely be selling most of them for meat pens or future breeders for meat pens but some want papers and others don't. The buck and one of the does have been shown and have won best of breed and best in show. Since we are only showing for FFA it really doesn't matter. I know nothing about showing rabbits. We just had another litter of 13 out of a NZW, 4 litters on the ground and 5 more on the way. Would like to sell a few so we don't have to butcher all of them. Thanks for the info will tell my son.

Laina

6. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member

Use the old $1.00 per week thing until they get to be about $10.00