Price for Pork Should rise emediately

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by arnoldw, Dec 24, 2003.

1. arnoldw

arnoldw Well-Known Member

With the scare of Mad cow Disease the price of Pork is going to have to go up.
    I pray we do not go through what the Canadians has gone through with the Beef and Dairy. They have been able to Export Pork and has helped to keep the price of Pork reasonable. With the Banning of Our Beef to be Exported and the Scare of Mad cow. There will be Alot more People eating Pork and Poultry. I am going to Breed a couple Guilts that I was Planning on putting in the freezer.
    Mery Chrismas to all Arnold

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I raise poultry and pork for my family- don't raise cattle due to space more than anything. Being out of the supermarket loop for meat purchases for some time I am primarily unaffected by the news but as far as I'm concerned, if I depended on the supermarket for meat, I would continue to buy beef. I doubt the prices will go down at the meat counter- only the cattle raiser will suffer- and the smaller the farmer the more he or she will be hurt.

3. arnoldw

arnoldw Well-Known Member

I raise puebreed yorkshires and enogh chickens for Egg and a few to eat. I sell baby pigs a couple times a year and only grow out what I personaly need and replacement boar and sows each year. They do not go to the Auction I take them to a local flea market and I normaly sell out in one day. I do belive in our beef in this country and had already been getting some pasture togeather for a few dairy cows. That I could also raise a beef or two from. I would like to be as self sufficent as I can. My point on Pork prices is that the demand will go up here with the scare of Mad cow Disease. Most of the price going up will be the packers and the grouciers will make the money like they always do. Thats why Im going to hold on to my Quilts this winter and breed them instead of eating them. Arnold

4. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

in terms of possible "mad cow disease" is pork any safer to consume than beef, if it has been fed contaminated feed?

5. BillHoo

BillHoo Well-Known Member

Well, if sheep were the first to get the diease by being fed sheep and chicken parts, and cows got it from being fed contaminated sheep parts, and humans can get it from eating contaminated beef...

My guess is that pigs can get it from eating contaminated humans (or contaminated feed)