price for pastuer pork??

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by myheaven, Oct 13, 2006.

1. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

Ok we just butchered the first fruits of my efforts on monday. He was raised on pasture very nice looking boy. Well people seeing us skinning and telling of our wonderful meat has people asking for home raised pasture pork. The boy ended up being 175 lbs of meat cut and wrapped. How much should I charge for meat per pound? roasts chops and bacon??? Im clueless. We may have 2 whole pigs sold aready for next year if the people like the first meat. We had around $210.00 in him total.
    :help:

2. swollen tongue

swollen tongue Well-Known Member

double the $ what you have in it, thats for sure.

3. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

We raised up pastured pigs for $350 each (~130 cuts = 225 live weight) and half-shares for (~65 cuts). Customer pays for slaughter ($45) and butchering ($0.50 cents or so per lb) plus any smoking or curing they want. See this article:

http://sugarmtnfarm.com/blog/2006/07/what-is-half-pig-share.html

It comes out to about $3.60 per lb on the half pig. If you are selling individual cuts then I would charge quite a bit more than that. You have a premium product.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

You folks certainly spend a lot of money to raise a hog.

5. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Myheaven--What is included in that $210 you have in your pig. Is that including cost of feeder, feed, and butchering costs?

Around here alot of people are selling hogs for $1.10 hanging wt. plus processing costs. This is run of the mill pigs that are not raised in any special way. I know a guy that sells at the farmers market. He sells individual cuts. He charges $4.25/lb. for chops and $4.00/lb for everything else.

Heather

6. Up North

So agmatoo, enlighten us all, how much does it cost you to raise a hog? Break everything down for us. We are here to learn and help each other out.

Heather

7. PlowGirl

PlowGirl Well-Known Member

Heather,

Selling individual cuts is something I'd like to look into. Do you have any idea what sort of regulations that would involve. I've looked everywhere for reselling meat at retail and can find nothing specific. I'd be interested to know the requirements for your state, farmer's market, et al.

Robin

8. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I could easily see our pork costing us that much. Last time I bought them, the only weanling piglets I could find cost $75.....$75!!!! Cheapest grain I can find is around eight dollars per fifty pounds. When we run out of milk to feed grain adds up quick. We spend around $150 to process. So total costs are probably close to what Myheaven posted. If there's a cheaper way, without sacrificing quality - I'd love to know about it!

Cheapest piglet I bought was $21 at the auction - I've picked up about five piglets there and never a sick one yet. I wanted to support the 'little guy' and buy healthy piglets privately - but will NEVER again pay the $75 per piglet. I was a loyal customer, and bought every six months, at least two, sometimes as many as five piglets - each time I bought the price went up $15.

My son just sold his milk-fed pig for $3.50 pound hanging weight, buyer pays processing.

Niki

9. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

Niki, at $21 per piglet the seller is making nothing and won't be lasting long. Those piglets were just being dumped.

I don't sell them for less than $55 per piglet - below that I might as well keep them and raise them up myself to sell as finished pigs where we get $350 per pig. For ten months a year we can't keep up with demand for piglets at our normal price of $65 to $75. People reserve months in advance. During the few months when piglet sales drop off I keep the piglets to raise up for our own production of market pigs.

When selling in the paper it is for much more than that and they go fast. The problem is there are fewer and fewer people breeding piglets so most of the supply is now culls from the factory farms here in the US and Canada. Yes, they are cheaper but you don't really want those piglets...

Support your local piglet producer or breed your own. You too could become a supplier of prime quality piglets for homesteaders in your area.

10. DRL

DRL Member

As far as the feed goes I go to a local mill and have them mill the grain for me, last week I bought 2000# of 18% feed for $200.00, that works out to $4.00 for 50#, using my bags, if it was to be put into new bags they charge about .80 per bag.

11. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I buy corn locally and grind and mix my own feed. It costs me about $160.00 a ton for 16% feed. The lower percentages as the hogs grow of course cost less per ton. On average it takes about 4 tons of feed to get a litter of 8 from weaning to slaughter. I sell them for $2.00/lb hanging weight, plus processing.

12. Up North

That figures to about $80 a pig for feed. If myheaven figured in the cost of the feeder pig and the cost of slaughter in her $210 figure, then I would say she didn't spend too much to raise her hog.

Heather

13. phantompark

phantompark Well-Known Member

We sell ours for $2.00 a pound plus processing costs. Last year it was $1.75 and next year I'm thinking $2.50. One cheap scate (family) has balked at the price but ended up ordering a whole pig.
    They are the feed mills 16% feed, vegatables, milk for our grass fed Jersey. Lots of area to till up and lots of excercise.
    Outstanding pork. I haven't calculated the cost to raise this batch of 9 yet. They just went to the butcher. They should weigh around 250 live weight.

We also do a 25 lb package for $120
    5 lbs each , ham or ham steaks, smoked bacon, italian sausage links, breakfast sausage links, roast or chops.

Individual cuts
    Bacon $5.25/lb
    smoked ham $5.25/lb
    fresh ham $5.00/lb
    chops $4.50/lb
    roasts $4.75 to $5.00/lb
    sausage $5.00/lb
    ribs $5.00/lb
    tenderloin $7.00/lb
    Lard $1.00/pound

If you don't make money selling it than don't do it.

14. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

Well a ton of feed cost me $239.00 and I have grown two pigs from 40 lbs to close to 200 and also fed a fair number of chickens. I still have a fair amount left over.

The piglets cost $50.00 each. Taking the time to pick up overripe produce and picking wormy apples has helped the feed bill a bit; I would say I have put about $150.00 into each of them.

My pig mentor charges 80 cents lb per live weight and the customers pay processing fees. But my husband wants to keep both pigs so we won't have any for sale this time around.

Next year I expect the cost to be lower as far as feed as I plan to also feed excess milk.

:)

15. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

sorry i dont have time to read everything threw yet. But 210 is for everything pig, feed, butcher, processing, and gas to get the pigs.

We are going to start to breed and raise more pigs we are so hooked. We are not about the cost of raising but the quality and care of the animal. and it makes for one nice peice of meat. I have a guy wanting me to raise him a few hogs. He was impressed with the look of my boy. ty all Ill be back later to see what everyone says.

16. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

My feed costs to raise a 50 lb feeder to 240 lbs market hog are the price of 150 lbs of soybean meal ($15) and the price of 10 bushels of corn (new crop corn price for 10 bushel is ($35.90) which totals $50.90. I can take a 50 lb pig to 240 lbs in 115 days on the above rations. I do not need a grinder/mixer as I can soak the corn in water and then mix the meal in at feeding. This ration is fed at a near free choice offering. I do want the available feed consumed between feedings. Fresh clean water is always available.

17. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

We bought half a hog last year from Northeast Iowa Specialty Meats (organic). They charged $1.25/lb hanging plus the processing $75. Their quality is excellent.

18. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Agmantoo, I usually get the corn from between $2.75 and $3.25 a bushel, so that's pretty close to your figures. I haven't found a local protein source that cheap, however. Soybean meal around here runs $8.00 to $10.00 per 50 lb. bag, hence the higher cost per pig.

19. Allan Mistler

Allan Mistler Just a simple man

I've worked out an arrangement that puts several hundred pounds in my freezer for nothing... well, other than alot of labor which I'd be doing anyway. We start out each spring with six piglets (2 are mine, 4 are other folks'). We have several other families and acquaintences that ask us to raise pigs for them and are happy to pay the costs to raise ours in the mix. So, the initial piglet, all feed bills and slaughter costs are divided by four and each of our 'customer's' pay their portion. When all's said and done, they each get a finished 250# to 300# pig (live weight), slaughtered, skinned and placed in the back of their pickup truck for about $1.50/lb. This allows them to take it anywhere they wish for packaging and smoking at their own cost and elliminates the need for me to transport to a USDA facility. We cut, wrap and smoke our own two pigs so the only costs we incur are for the vacuum seal bags and cure materials. OK, so I have to feed them all summer... I can do that!

20. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Our pastured pork is priced in bulk at $4.00 cut and wrapped per pound. We sell the individual cuts at comparable rates to those in the supermarket and they vary quite a bit. Best cuts go for over $10 per Kilo. Live weaner piglets go for $100 a piece at 6 weeks old.