price for nigerians

Discussion in 'Goats' started by chrisntiff, Oct 4, 2005.

1. chrisntiff

chrisntiff Well-Known Member

I was wondering how much I should excpect to pay for pet quality does and wethers that are about 4 months old now. I found some that were available and they want 200.00 for a doe and 150.00 for a wether. This is with no papers, but she said she could get them registered and it would cost more. I appreciate any advice. Thanks,
    Chris

2. glidergurl03

glidergurl03 Well-Known Member

I charge betwee $100-150 for doelings, and $25-75 for bucklings/wethers...I"m in MN, so might be different in your area...

3. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I paid $50 apiece for my wethers.

4. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

I paid 300 each for a double registered buck and doe. But I've seen whethers go for around 50.00.

5. glidergurl03

suppose I should clarify that my post up there...mine are grade. :)

6. Reptyle

Reptyle Well-Known Member

What is "grade?"

7. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

I have been going to the local livestock to see how much they sell for there. The lowest price I have seen so far is $11. Mostly they sell for $60-130. Some of them look rel good but one of the workers there suggested that if I bought one, I should get to the vet for all the shots asap. I was actually planning to buy a sheep or goat after the start of hunting season. That way I could shoot and dress it before it even got home.

8. Oscar

Oscar Well-Known Member

I paid about $60 a piece for my wethers purchased from two different sources.

9. glidergurl03

10. Farmboy

Farmboy Well-Known Member

I paid $100 dollars for my purebred/papered Nigerian doe. (I practically stole her!) Normal prices around here are about $150-$200 + for a really good purebred.

By the way, grade doesn't mean "not registered". When speaking of the dairy breeds, most grades are not registered, grade refers to breeding. A grade goat is a goat of mixed or unproven ancestry. Some grades can be recognized by the American Dairy Goat Assocition. A purebred is a goat that has been bred true (and is registered) for as long as anyone can remember, usually from the time the breed was recognized by it's associaton. An "American" goat is one that has other blood but has been bred back to a paticular breed long enough (usually about 3 generations) that it now comforms to that particular breed. Americans and purebreds are generally considered the same when buying "purebred goats".

11. prairieoak

prairieoak New Member

I've been breeding and selling registered dwarf goats for many years, and we charge about $350 and up for show/brood quality, and $200-$250 for what I consider unregistered pet quality does... $100 for wethers. I'm in Wisconsin, (with a perpetual waiting list). I think the key thing, no matter that you don't require registered, show quality stock, is that they be healthy to begin with, so that you don't spend money on the back end in vet bills and/or treatments to keep them healthy. Ask about CDT vaccinations, periodic fecal exams, their breeding background, check their hooves, eyelids, gums, teats, etc, etc. Like anything else, you get what you pay for, as they say :) ...and if the seller is a responsible breeder who cares about the health of their stock before AND after the sale, you'll be all the better off, even if you just want backyard pets :) Hope that helps
    Patty
    Prairie Oak Miniatures
    www.PrairieOak.com
    Selectively & successfully breeding quality dwarf goats for more than 2 decades
    Author: "The Basics and Beyond; Goat Care & Management"

12. chrisntiff

chrisntiff Well-Known Member

thanks for all the info. For the price of 200.00 and 150.00 should I ask for a certificate of health from a vet before purchasing? I just want some healthy pets I may milk in the futfure. Thanks again.
    Chris

13. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

I don't know if a breeder would include a health certificate - unless you paid for it. I know when I buy an animal from out-of-state, the purchaser generally pays both shipping and health certificate (usually around 35.00) but you can always ask. Costs for Nigerian kids can go as high as $750 from top stock. $200 sounds like a good price if they are CAE tested and registered.

14. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I charge $75 for registered wethers. Pricing can depend on so many factors, including location, bloodlines, show and udder production, whether polled or not, blue eyes, etc. Even for unregistered individuals conformation, color, condition, etc can play in. I wouldn't pay any more than $50 for an unregistered wether. If you are persistent and patient you can even find good quality registered nigies for under $200. Especially in fall when many breeders have herd reduction sales. Also, goats may sold for a good price if they have horns or scurs. As for the high end nigierians, I have seen highly acclaimed animals go for $2,000 and over. BTW, I haven't seen a Registered wether go for over $150, much less an unpapered one. That is way too much to pay IMO.