Price for Jersey and cross?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by waygr00vy, Sep 25, 2006.

1. waygr00vy

waygr00vy Sunny Daze Farm

I am thinking about selling my Jersey and Jersey/Holstein X heifers. They are about 21 months old, and I have had them since they were one week. It is a tough decision to sell my girls, but I really don't have that much time right now, and the drought this year has really done a number to the few acres I rent. So my first question....what would be a reasonable price for them? They are very friendly, and halter broke but haven't been worked with recently so would need a "refresher course". I think last time I checked, the Jersey was about 800lb and the cross was about 900.

Second questions...I thought about maybe selling one and keeping the other, but will that one get lonely since they have always been together? I do have other animals, goats and horses, but no other cows. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks! -Carissa in Florida

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

If they are registered, it can effect the price, however living in an area that is suffering from drought, you might not get a good price, as it is a buyers market. Neither I am not sure of their value, but what I can answer is the lonleyness.

As long as they have some sort of companion, someone to hang with, they should be fine. Sure they will look around some, but they will eventually co-mingle with the other livestock.

Jeff

3. waygr00vy

ok, thanks. And they are not registered.

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Are they Pregnant? 21 month old heifers that are "OPEN" (not Pregnant) would be worth less than bred(Pregnant) Heifers.

5. waygr00vy

no, they are open, I finally found someone who will AI them but they haven't come into heat since I spoke with him, and now I have decided to sell them anyway...

6. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

You will get a better price if they are AI'd.

We sold a non-registered purebred Jersey heifer calf still on the bottle for $400 in our area.

We've bought 2 yo non-registered, OPEN, just freshened, purebred Jerseys from $600-$1100.

7. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Have No Idea what they would sell for in Florida. Up in our area The Open Jersey would bring $850-$1050. The Hol/Jer Cross would bring $950-$1150.
    Hopefully folks from your area will weigh in.

8. waygr00vy

I spoke with an AG guy from the University today that seemed to think about 2000 for the pair would be about right, so I suppose I will list them and see if I get any bites. I would love to have them AI'd if it wasn't such a hassle around here. Most people who own cattle in my area have beef cattle, and have them all out in the pasture with a bull. It was really hard to find anyone who could AI them, and even now that I did, he is not super close and I have to do all the leg work involved and unfortunately, I just don't have the time right now. I wanted to breed them several months ago, but couldn't find anyone to do it...