Price for cheese?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cmharris6002, Apr 29, 2006.

1. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

How do you price your cheese?
    I plan to ask $7-$8 for aged pressed cheeses, and $5-$6 for soft and freshcheeses. Honestly, I think that is pretty low, but I've got to work within the economic mind set of my area (farm stuff=cheap stuff). Most people aroud here will buy off farms to save money not to get a natural higher quality product. As I grow though I hope to reach out to the 'city folk' who would be happy to pay for Artisan Farmstead Cheeses :)

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Do your state regs allow you to sell cheese? A lot of states allow raw milk sales, but not cheese.

As for prices, I would check what comparable cheese is selling for in the stores -- and price mine about the same or a tad lower. Your urban markets will be your best bet, because as you say, us country folk are usually looking for 'cheaper'. If it gets too expensive, we just make our own, LOL! City folks often don't think of that, and they also like the status symbols of buying the latest 'in' thing -- and goat cheese is 'in'.

Kathleen

3. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I guess it would depend on the size of the cheese. But I would think $5 or $6 for fresh goat cheese would go over pretty well, at least around here. It's at least $4 in the grocery store and it's not even very good.

4. cmharris6002

Those prices were per pound.

I can sell cheese but people have to come here to buy it and I can't advertise or put up any kind of sign or flyer.

last year I sold it for $8/lb but only had one regular costumer.

It will be hard to reach the city folk without advertising but I am already getting some business from our Greek meat connection in the city, they have asked for feta!

I started last year making cheese for a small goat dairy, It paied for my buck service and got me lots of 'free' milk. I only had two milkers last year. This year I have four and I want to freshen eight for next year.

5. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

That sounds like a pretty good deal. If you have a good product, word-of-mouth should get you some business -- it may take a while, but hang in there. Here, we can sell raw milk (under the same conditions -- no advertising, customer has to come pick it up), but in order to sell cheese we are supposed to be licensed. I know one lady who sells cheese who isn't licensed, but so far nobody had turned her in. I'd be perpetually worried, though, if I did that -- I don't want to live that way!

Hope this works out for you! :)

Kathleen

6. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

You can check the real milk /raw milk website for cheese prices too. My friends here in Arizona charges $16lb - some of those friends are rural, some are not. Can't keep up with the demand. Those are contraband sales though. :)

niki

7. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

That seems pretty cheap to me, at least for the soft cheese. I think the $4 ones at the store are only 4 or 5 ounces.

8. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

That seems way cheap to me, too. Chevre in the grocery store is about a buck an ounce, and will do a great job clearing out your sinuses. Yech!!

9. cmharris6002

Well, I guess my husband was right... He has been telling me I am selling it way too cheap. I am just worried that, since i don't have a customer base, I'll end up with a ton of milk and cheese and nobody to buy it. I planned to raise my prices when I got more demand...

10. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

You are very underpriced...are you licensed or certified? Can you aggresively market your cheeses to chefs at upscale restaurants? Are you able to do some farmer's markets? We are in a very rural area, but there are health food coops, and upscale suppliers who buy all the goat's milk cheeses on the market at very healthy prices and are clamoring for more.

11. cmharris6002

According to the Kansas Dpt. of Agriculture, I can sell raw milk and raw milk products to the final consumer on the farm only. So no, I cannot do farmers markets or restaurants.

My dairy can be made to fit grade A standards (it actually already does) But i will need a commercial kitchen to become an official dairy manufacturing plant.

Maybe someday...

I think I will hold a few cheese making workshops this summer, now to try to figure out how much to charge :shrug:

12. Ranchermom

Ranchermom Sam at the Pecan Ranch

Find some organic groups near you. Check out the yahoo groups for people eating natural foods. Find a Food coop and offer some small free samples then tell them where they can get more :)

I have been pricing around here too, I saw 8oz of moz for about $4

Sam

13. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Was that for goat's milk mozzarella, Sam? In VT you cannot sell raw milk cheese unless it has been aged for 60n days...I will be forced to use pasteurized milk for my fresh cheeses...but for my own family's consumption, I will make raw milk cheeses...