Price for beautiful Nubian doe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I have a beautiful Nubian doe, she is just gorgeous! She is purebred but unregistered. She is a little over one year old and is the herd queen. I was asked what price would I want for her. Just out of curiosity, what would be the price for a promising doe like this? She is very large, intelligent, pretty to look at (very graceful) and well-behaved. Also bossy, but not mean. I have no idea what kind of milker she will be but her teats are nice and big.

TIA!

Jillis

2. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

There is a guy south of me that sell his burebred unregistered Nigerians for $200. He sells them all as bottle babies at 2 weeks old, there is a 6 week waiting list to get one.

3. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

Around here you could get $200 for her, $250 if she was in milk.
    ~Christy

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I would have thought half that with no papers.
    mary

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you have any history on her? Is she a twin? Did her mom give good milk volume? Health issues exposure?

I'd ask $100 to 150 depending on history....I have a lovely Registered Nubian buck that might like to be her boyfriend? :shrug:

6. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

I can tell you that I wouldn't give more than $100 for an unregistered doe but maybe you could get someone to. You'd have more luck if she were bred in milk and even more if you got her bred back. Ideally, you have to have more to offer to get the same amount of money on an unregistered one. Soooo, if you had her in milk, trained to a milk stand and bred back plus she has good milk production, you might be able to get the $200 for her. If she is drop dead gorgeous and a great milker, someone might like to use her for Boer crosses which doesn't even require her to be registered b/c as long as she is bred to a Fullblood reg. buck, the babies would be registerable as 50% Boer kids. With that said, I just purchased a 2 yr old Nubian doe who is gorgeous and well bahaved and I gave $175 for her but she has papers. It might also depend on what area you live in and the demand for dairy goats. Good luck to you if you are trying to find her a new home!

7. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd want to see her in milk before I'd know what to pay for her. You can register her as a NOA recorded grade with ADGA. You have to have an ADGA member sign off that she conforms to Nubian standard. I have a La Mancha I recorded that way and she went on to earn her championship. I have two breeders who want her, but she's a keeper. Commercial dairies I sell to will pay 100-150 for grade milkers.