Previous member is back!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by calico, Sep 30, 2004.

1. calico

calico Member

Hi,
    I still love this site, I used to be a member back when it was still Countryside, we got off the net for several years, had a lot of ups and downs, I've moved about 70 miles further N.E. and live in another place with only 1 acre, not homesteading yet, but did build two raised beds, still have squash making? I don't even remember what my old handle was? OH, well I"ve been lurking here for months and still see some familiar names but a lot of new ones also. I'm single now to guys :eek: . Would love to homestead again someday but thats still a ways off. So sorry I missed the get together in Arkansas but plan to go in the spring if ya'l are having another one. Even thought I can't fully homestead yet, I so enjoy reading about those who are and would like to know if there is anyone in my area close enough for me to visit with or maybe even help some when I can. I'm near Texarkana, Tx, email me.
    Thanks
    Calico

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Welcome back, Calico. Jump right in and join the fun!

3. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

If you didnt like the Countryside flame wars just stay away from General Chat :) We succeeded in pretty much cofining the battles to that board. Don't sweat the handle situation either. Most of us chose different handles shortly after getting here.

4. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

An acre is enough! Two beds is a start! You may not be able to run a herd of cattle, but you can do an awful lot on one acre.

Sue Hubbell has a book, A Country Year, (Ihope my memory still works). In the first chapter, she describes her first year after a divorce which exactly describes my own; only a paragraph long, but made a profound impact on me. This is a very good book for women on their own.

Glad you are on board.

Sandi

5. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

A single person only needs two 4 by 12 ft raised beds to feed themselves and up to two other people and stock a freezer. After my divorce I used my Squarefoot gardening book and bought a copy of Cash from squarefoot gardening books and cut my usable ground down to 1/2 acre from the 1.7 acre my ex and I worked. 15 raised bed racks produced my food and sales income of vegetables and decorative flowers the first season so that I could begin my transition from a place that had been supported by my engineering income and worked by two to a place that would support me while I pursued my passion for worm farming. As a returned to the shelf single I have learned an excellent lesson. It is "Small is All, All is Success". I am now in the process of reclaiming the ground I let go to overgrowth as worm ranch expansion.

So dont think that your one acre cant be your vehicle to success. An acre can be a gold mine for you.