preventive maintenance-Toyota

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Emily Nouvertne, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Emily Nouvertne

Emily Nouvertne Well-Known Member

We have '98 Toyota with 100,000 miles on it, its a good truck, we depend upon it daily and intend on keeping it. Is it necessary to do all the shop recomended maintenance (timing belt, valves) at this time? We change the oil every 3,000 miles, and do a general check under the hood at that time. Any recomendations out there whether we should spend the money($1,000+) to keep it up by their standards or will it make 200,000 without it? Anybody have any dealings of this nature with their vehicle?

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Toyotas are allmost bullit proof, if you do not jerk the wheels or purposley abuse the vehicle. They often go for 300,000 without major problems, if they are subject to gentle hands and feet. Keep them cool at all times, heat is the real enemy for them; wear, stress, abuse is the real enemy. I know of one which is closeing on 600,000 with the same engine. It gets oil changes about every 5,000 or so, is driven gentle but very often.

There was a AMC car many years back that made 1,000,000 miles because it was taken care of over the years, lack of attention is the enemy of all machinery.

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................If , the timing chain\gears break or jump time because of TOO many miles you could have a valve opening or closing at the wrong time and falling into the combustion chamber whereupon it will collide with a piston and you will have effectively destroyed your motor . Don't know what the cost is for a rebuild but I'd guess 3 to 4 thousand . You can also play "chicken" with the scheduled maintenance and hope that nothing happens . Personally , I'd go ahead and have the service done , unless of course you're short on cash\plastic then wait for another 6 months or so but it really should be done ASAP , in my opinion , fordy.. :)

4. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

I don't know much about Toyotas, most of my foreign auto and truck experience was with Nissan.

Having said that, I would recommend a timing belt replacement at the very least. Although the factory may recommend changing the timing belt at 100,000 miles, it's usually better to change it a bit sooner. Since you use the truck every day, it's probably a good idea to change the belt - it's highly doubtful the original belt will last 200,000 miles.

I've seen the results of what happens when a timing belt comes apart at highway speeds ... it's engine replacement time.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I would change the water pump, the timing belt and the serpentine belt and the belt tensioner provided your model vehicle has these items. If the vehicle is an automatic transmission change the filter. Add a can of conditioner to the antifreeze and go for another 100K.

6. margo

margo Well-Known Member

May not be right on this, but, isn't it a timing chain on the Toyota truck? I believe that's what we had to have replaced after 100,000 miles. Our little black beauty worked like a horse, and we still have her. Best thing is do as suggested above, and treat 'er well.

7. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

I have had three toyota trucks. 1983 1/2 ton long bed, 1986 one ton long bed, and 1990 1/2 ton. Still have the one ton.

What I have had to replace is the timing chain guides. These are made of some hard plastic and along with the normal wear they get brittle from the heat over time. It can be done without pulling the head....I've done it twice. At 100,000 miles you need to watch for the crank seal starting to leak. When it does it will throw oil all over the engine compartment. It's a pretty easy fix once you know the trick for getting the crank nut off...at least I thought it was trick! Outside of that oil changes, tune ups, valve adjustments I would run it until something begins to go wrong. I out a 22ER motor in last year (remanufactured) for 1700 for the motor...total about $2500 for the complete job....but that was no labor. Out one day and in the next. A compression check now and again also doesn't hurt.

8. Steve in Ohio

Steve in Ohio Well-Known Member

I ran 2 Toyota trucks for a total of over 400,000 miles both had the R22-E engines.So I would strongly suggest replacing the timing chain and guides at 100,000 miles.......if the chain jumps it can and will destroy the intake valves,as they are zero interference with the pistons.............been there done that.................Doing the work myself it cost a little over $500 to put it back together again.........Timing chain kit costs about $80....................

9. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

My 93 Toyota is a 4 cylinder R22E, I think, with over 308,000 miles on it, and nothing has been done to the engine other than water pump. It uses a timing chain and the manuals say to replace it when it is worn out. I am thinking about doing that soon, but I'm not in any mad rush about it. Still using the original clutch, too.
    Jim

10. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Which truck and which engine? Since you can't have a 22RE, the comments about their toughness don't apply. But assuming nothing interesting in the way of abuse or neglect, yes, you can reasonably expect to go another 100k on the truck.