Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is only one way this is going to happen, do not buy anything not labeled made in the USA. The McMansions dwellers are going to be hurt big time, but they are so few compared to the rest of us.

Next, send the felons back to their country, they are consuming the affordable housing, plus consuming too much via public services. And not bright enough to learn English. Tighten the borders with intensity.

Defeat, remove, whatever politician stands in the way of our surviving. Make membership of the New World Order a felony as it should be. Remember something called the American Revolution?

Details are a bit separate but the actions again need to be enacted. Do you have children that deserve less? Stop listening to the so called educated and act within your own parameters.

·
Registered
474 Posts
moopups said:
There is only one way this is going to happen, do not buy anything not labeled made in the USA. The McMansions dwellers are going to be hurt big time, but they are so few compared to the rest of us.

Next, send the felons back to their country, they are consuming the affordable housing, plus consuming too much via public services. And not bright enough to learn English. Tighten the borders with intensity.

Defeat, remove, whatever politician stands in the way of our surviving. Make membership of the New World Order a felony as it should be. Remember something called the American Revolution?

Details are a bit separate but the actions again need to be enacted. Do you have children that deserve less? Stop listening to the so called educated and act within your own parameters.
Well said!
My belief is the only thing that will save our country is dealing directly people to people. Barter if you can. Don't get hung up on "The Bottom Line" working more for more money that is actually worth less and less. Be happy with what you have not what else can I have. Why can't we produce in our own communities? If a local business is sourcing from outside our borders instead of local for the same product run em out of town. We need to stand up for our rights. People are mad and complain alot but with very little action. Almost like they are asleep. Stand up and be counted, make your point known. There is many of us that feel this way, keep educating the rest. If something is not done soon there will not be America anymore. Tom

·
Premium Member
5,032 Posts
Reminds me even of a grocery store in our little town, They advertise they buy from local growers. Took produce in--they said, "Oh no, that comes in on our trucks!"
Anyway, Mitch, well said--but it wont be done....

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
galump said:
Wonderful post. Just a shame that it will never happen.

galump
Sorry galump, not sure if you mean that 'The Coming Depression' won't happen, or that people won't try to do anything about it - though I suspect the latter.

I believe that there will be a depression, but it won't be confined to the U.S. - It will be world-wide, and will probably last for some time.
The people that will have the best chance of riding it out will be those that know how to live off the land - provided that they can defend their homes, land, livestock and crops.

·
Registered
31,750 Posts
There's a lot of us on this forum trying to buy only USA made products. I'm more attentive than I was 6 mo ago. Picked up a can of mushrooms to have on hand if I don't have fresh, & had to go thru several brands b/4 I found one NOT coming from China.

Checked my minute maid OJ b/c of the thread about it coming from China, the label says USA & BRAZIL!! Will use what I have but no more minute maid for us.

·
Übernerd
502 Posts
I always have to laugh when I look at something and it says "Assembled in the USA," since you know they're just trying to get around admitting that the parts came from China. I'm really trying not to buy Chinese-made stuff anymore; I've never approved of their labor laws (well, lack thereof), human rights abuses, faulty products... the list of problems just goes on and on. As far as food and produce, I'd always rather buy something grown locally or, failing that, fair trade and/or organic. Usually the price difference isn't even that high, and the food tastes better, too. Some things can't be helped- obviously, I'm not likely to find locally-grown oranges in Southern Maine, for instance, but when it can, I'm all for it. It's a pretty easy change to make that can make a big difference if enough people do it, IMHO.

I must not have gotten the memo about the New World Order, though.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
IMO - There is no way in the world to head off this coming depression. It's going to get really bad. Really bad even for those of us that think we have our ducks in a row.

We all depend on the world market. Food for many of us will be easier. We can grow our own. Won't have those convienent items that we are used to. But, we'll survive.

It's the other things that will affect all of us. Travel of course. Weither to the Dr appt out of town or to family, friends, and trips. Cost of medical supplies, other products than food, etc.

After noticing that barrel oil is ready to hit the 80. mark can you just imagine what the will do to heating fuel costs this winter? So many people will have to chose between food, utilities, or medication.

We are enlarging our gardens, buying our food and products for food storage now, and saving, saving, saving. When the lag time adjusts for this increase in barrel oil we will need to have a hefty pillow to land on for a few years.

Not going to be easy for any of us.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Unfortunately the time for buying made in the USA has passed. Twenty years ago there were plenty of us singing that song but the stuffmarts kept coming in and their stuff was so nice and cheap and plentiful. Remember when WalMart claimed that if it was made in the USA they would carry it? People believed that lie and defended them when folks talked against them. Today if you limit yourself to just purchasing made or grown in the USA, you will come home pretty empty handed. Kind of like closing the barn door after all the horses are out.

Now what WOULD work would to just stop buying. Back to basics and using it up and wearing it out. IMHO if we don't do that pretty soon by choice, we will be doing it in the long haul by necessity.

804 Posts
Yesterday our local NBC TV station ran a web poll that asked,"Should products made in China be banned?" 85% responded yes! Unfortunately, these same 85% would probably be screaming in Walmart when the shelves are empty.

The USA is screwed.We as a nation have committed suicide and we are only a hollow shadow of the great nation we were and hated by the majority of the world.

It's only going to get worse before it ever gets better, if it ever does.
JMHO

Scott

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
If enough people keep up the demand for made in USA foodstuffs then it should slowly translate into made in the USA household goods. Companies will respond if it will sell and only the consumer can decide that. Just look at the way organics have taken off. There is much more demand then supply. With all the concerns about things made in China now is the time for American manufacturers to stand up and shout.

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
ceresone said:
Reminds me even of a grocery store in our little town, They advertise they buy from local growers. Took produce in--they said, "Oh no, that comes in on our trucks!"
Anyway, Mitch, well said--but it wont be done....

And that would be false advertising.

Fortunatly we found two farmstands nearby us, and all there produce is grown right there on the farm where the farmstands are located. So we know we are getting local.

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Before I continue: I think that the situation in Australia parallels that of America, so any comment I make applies equally here also. Hope y'all don't mind....

One of the big problems is that, to compete with imports, the only way local manufacturers see to compete is by slashing the wages and conditions of its workers. With reduced incomes, people are then virtually forced into buying the cheaper imported goods. It's a downward spiral that will be difficult to halt.

The man-in-the-street is going to have to start voting with his wallet, however painful that might be at times. We can not expect our local businesses and industries to survive competitively unless we give them our support.

Was it JFK that once said, "There is nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by Americans"?

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
When you have two choices, cheap poison, or pay more for food, it seems to me it is better to tighten our belts and do without some stuff to pay for real food. Buy cheap toys for your child and pay later with a brain damaged/neurologically impaired child? Does the child really NEED all those cheap, gaudy toys covered in lead based paint? Buy cheap clothes that break you out in a rash? Gadgets and tomfoolery that falls apart in a day or three? How about the dirty air we breath from the pollution that China is breathing into our shared atmosphere?

If you cannot find a whatever that is made in the USA, do without, find a substitute or at least buy it used.

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,692 Posts
Don't say the "b" word aloud in public and be darn sure you trust the person with whom you are "b-ing". Tis a taxable transaction and IMHO, it is because it benefits the working joe and is not of much benefit to the rich and in corporare america's eyes, takes money right out of their pockets. Yes tougher times are coming. We are in tough times now though not too many realize it.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
So are you all going to give up your coffee and tea, except that which is grown in the USA? :p (Do we even grow any coffee or tea here?)

And if you buy USA grown products, do they have to be picked by Americans?

And what counts as an American company? Chrysler was bought by Daimler, the German auto company that also makes Mercedes-Benz. Recently I think it was sold to a USA based private equity group. Meanwhile, Japanese and German auto companies have built/are building mfg plants in USA. Toyota recently put in a plant nearby in San Antonio. But that's final assembly, I don't know where the parts come from. I believe Boeing uses some parts made in Japan and in China.

So, do we count where the headquarters of the company is? Where the workers are? Where the shareholders are? Where the parts come from?

When the Japanese automakers were first gaining market share and hurting Detroit, the US automakers lobbied congress for 'voluntary' import restrictions so they could be price competative with the Japanese. But as soon as that happened, the cost of the Japanese imports went up, and then Detroit immediately raised their prices, instead of keeping them the same to be 'competative.'

Detroit also blamed losing share to the Japanese on everything except lack of quality. They blamed it on the Japanese having lower interest rates, how the Japanese companies had better labor relations, and how the Japanese workers all got together and did calesthentics and sang the company song.

Deming was a statistical quality control consultant who was for a very long time ignored by US companies, including auto companies. The Japanese listened to him, and implemented his ideas. They created a very high quality product at a good price.

While US auto executives were continually carping on the 'unfair advantage' that the Japanese had in cars, and how it would never work here, and how they needed even more protection from the gov't... A Japanese company bought an auto mfg plant in Fremont CA from a USA auto company, that was one of the worst performing US auto plants. The Japanese company kept the existing workers, brought in Japanese management, and within 2-3 years, had turned it into one of the top performing plants for that Japanese company. (Read the book "The Machine that Changed the World" if you want a very good view of how the auto industry changed, and how the US, European, and Japanese companies responded.)

Seems to me that the problem in this case was USA executives. Should I have still bought their cars? Should I have stopped when plant got sold to a Japanese company?

Today, we have Chrysler recently being sold by the German Daimler to a private equity group. My guess is that they will use bankruptcy, or the threat of it, to wriggle out of all their post-retirement health care and pension benefits to their workers. Should I still buy their products, as long as the private equity group has a NY city office? Even though they run the ownership thru the Cayman Islands to legally avoid taxes?

Unfortunately, 'buy American made' has been used in the past to protect incompetent management, or avoid change, or as a marketing slogan (eg, Walmart of a decade ago) instead of an actual business practice. And as a practical matter, it's a lot harder to determine what it really means to be "American Made" for anything but the simplest of products.

I agree we're facing really hard times. Unfortunately, we've gotten into this mess because of decades of neglect, and short-term thinking, and greedy financial manipulation, and political sloganeering and soundbite analysis.

I'd love to believe that all our enemies are "over there" somewhere. Unfortunately, I believe quite a few of our problems are home grown. Plenty of good ol' USA companies in the mortgage brokering, subprime investment, real-estate agent, appraisal business. Guess I can trust them to tell me the truth and have my best interests at heart when they advise refinancing, or buying a house. And good ol' Enron, and WorldCom. Thank goodness these are patriotic American companies, so we can sleep at night without worry! :flame:

--sgl

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Those of you whom have stated: 'It ain't going to happen', ect. have defeated yourselves long before the battle even approaches.

I disrespect defeatists, they are worthless in my opinion. There is lack of internal strength, as there is lack of intestinal fortitude. There would be loss if I was to associate.

A citizen owns a gun, a subject does not; a brave person is capable of using it, a coward is not.

So what if you have to come out of your air conditioning? The people 200 years back did not have air conditioning, yet they stood. Are you weaker than those whom died of disease younger? Do you have less love for your country than they? Are you wiling to be 'managed' or 'herded'?

Keep saying 'It ain't going to happen' and watch the results, act now or fail.

Once the trash hits the internet is the first to go, phone service will very shortly followed. Maybe 15 minutes, have your food, water in place as Washington DC falters via the schedule placed be the NWO.

I'll give the date as soon as I find it.

This is not rant material, its fact of the sellout of the currant administration.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.