Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
when in doubt, mumble.
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both bovine and human cases?

Please tell me if I've got this right.

BSE (mad cow) originated in England, and the exact cause is unknown. It is probably from scrapie infected sheep being ground into meal and fed back to cattle, dairy especially. Right or wrong?

People in England got mad cow, with it's symtoms showing up as varient Creutzfeldt Jakob disease (CJD), and being diagnosed as sporadic CJD. right or wrong?

Mad cow, along with scrapie, kuru, CJD, chronic wasting disease and fatal familial insomnia are all prion diseases. Prions are unable to be destroyed in conventional ways, they have to be eliminated with unusually strong bleach solutions, boiling and whatnot dont kill them. Prions have to do with misfolded proteins; I am not totally clear on this part. (?)

Young people, not too long ago, were diagnosed with sporadic CJD, while their disease was more likely varient CJD, caused by mad cow. Right?

A handful of cows positive for mad cow have been diagnosed in the US? Our beef on the store shelves may have the potential to kill us?

Prion diseases are often caused and started by cannibalism, like mad cows being feed cow meal or chicken meal from chickens that have been fed cow meal from mad cows. (say that 5 times fast!) Or like early hominids most likely engaging in occasional cannibalism, or primitive tribes supposibly eating their dead. (?)

Homozygous induviduals are more susceptible than heteozygous. (homozygous and heterozygous for what, exactly?)

Can you guys confirm all this, or explain anything on prion diseases to me? FYI, I'm 16, and just did biology last year, so try not to go overly in depth!

??????? And we can get chronic wasting disease from eating venison, you think?

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
They are saying it Started in Inda, Where the dead are cremated. And bones are gathered for Bone meal, That was in turn Infected and was fed to cattle as A Mineral source. The experts are saing the Meat from cattle 18 months or younger is safe. As the Prions are in the Spinal coulum and Brain tissue ( there went eating Brains and Eggs) And The Prions can remain Dormant for years. They eat holes in brain Tissue! The humans that have C J D are thought to have gotten it from eating Brains of cattle. Now the scrapie in Sheep is Similar to Mad Cow. But just A few degrees off. The experts also say that since feeding cattle in meal form to cattle ended in the 90's Almost All cases are getting to the point of being Exterminated. But then theres A few die hards , Who May still have some feed ingrediants that contain the Prions may still be useing it. Thats the way it was Explained to Me!!

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Wow! You are discussing a topic on which highly educated scientists and researchers disagree. I encourage you to do a Google search on say Mad Cow Disease.

Both bovine and human cases?

Please tell me if I've got this right.

BSE (mad cow) originated in England, and the exact cause is unknown. It is probably from scrapie infected sheep being ground into meal and fed back to cattle, dairy especially. Right or wrong?

It was largely an outbreak in England which brought it to international attention. It could have well be happening here and there far longer. If you talk to an old time cattleman likely they will tell you what they thought to be 'staggers' may have been MCD.

People in England got mad cow, with it's symtoms showing up as varient Creutzfeldt Jakob disease (CJD), and being diagnosed as sporadic CJD. right or wrong?

Perhaps, but take into consideration likely a quite large percent of the English population ate potentially MCD tainted beef, yet only about 100 were documented with coming down with vCJD. It was only noticed when people younger than they should be came down with CJD symptoms - something which happens randomly (apparently) among senior adults about 1/1M deaths.

Mad cow, along with scrapie, kuru, CJD, chronic wasting disease and fatal familial insomnia are all prion diseases. Prions are unable to be destroyed in conventional ways, they have to be eliminated with unusually strong bleach solutions, boiling and whatnot dont kill them. Prions have to do with misfolded proteins; I am not totally clear on this part. (?)

Far as I know there is no 100% conclusive evidence what caused MCD. One theory is the use of an organiophosphate (sp?) fly spray applied to the backs of dairy cattle. This may have been a trigger for the outbreak. As noted above, might have come from the bones of CJD cases in India being ground into cattle feed (which does beg the question as to why MCD isn't showing up in India I know of). In the human cases at least one I recall was to a lifelong vegetarian. On cattle, I recall of one case in France in which the cattle were fed no animal byproducts - just farm grown feed.

Young people, not too long ago, were diagnosed with sporadic CJD, while their disease was more likely varient CJD, caused by mad cow. Right?

See above. Unless you have a 100% link then anything (everything) is a suspect.

A handful of cows positive for mad cow have been diagnosed in the US? Our beef on the store shelves may have the potential to kill us?

As I recall four cases have been found in U.S. Two were cattle imported from Canada. Two were in Texas feedlots. Those two didn't have the same strain as the Canadian or European cases. May be MCD is simply sporatic and has nothing to do with their feed.

Prion diseases are often caused and started by cannibalism, like mad cows being feed cow meal or chicken meal from chickens that have been fed cow meal from mad cows. (say that 5 times fast!) Or like early hominids most likely engaging in occasional cannibalism, or primitive tribes supposibly eating their dead. (?)

Again, no 100% definite link. Why would sheep scrappies cause MCD when sheep brains have been in the diet of some Scotish and such areas for a very long time? Ground up dead animals, include processing plant renderings, were in cattle feed for perhaps longer than 100 years. Why did it suddenly cause an outbreak in England? Animal protein have been in cattle feed in the U.S. for a very long time. Why no outbreak here.

Homozygous induviduals are more susceptible than heteozygous. (homozygous and heterozygous for what, exactly?)

You lost me here.

Can you guys confirm all this, or explain anything on prion diseases to me? FYI, I'm 16, and just did biology last year, so try not to go overly in depth!

??????? And we can get chronic wasting disease from eating venison, you think?

IMHO the chances of your getting vCJD from U.S. raised beef might be 1/1T exposures. On deer and elk, if the animals seemed to be healthy when killed, and the head and spinal column is discarded, and proper slaughtering sanitation procedures are used, risk would seem to be minimal as well.

Again, do your research and form your own opinion. Personally, I don't consider it worth worrying about.

·
Registered
281 Posts
xoxoGOATSxoxo said:
Recent research has pointed to a folded prion which is a key-lock mechanism found on t-rna and amino acids which form polypeptides, which then form eventualy whatever tissue. It has been suggested that this folding happens randomly and it is yet unkown how frequently or why it occurs. This deformed prion can then be passed on to other animals through nervous tissue.

xoxoGOATSxoxo said:
CJD is mad cow, since people are not bovines you can't call their disease BSE. And it's not just people in the UK CJD and BSE are a problem for all of the EU and Russia.

xoxoGOATSxoxo said:
As stated above prions are a mutation in the lock-key mechanism of t-rna and amino acids, they can be destroyed in conventional ways they're no different then the regular protien in your meat, they can be denatured with proper cooking etc. And for future reference in general boiling is a better way to sterilize something than a strong bleach solution.

xoxoGOATSxoxo said:
Please America despite European and Japanese bashing has very safe food. And yes beef does have the potential to kill you but I would worry about e-coli before I lost my head about BSE

xoxoGOATSxoxo said:
This sounds like a rumor perhaps with a basis in the fact that sickle cell trait individuals cannot get malaria. Sounds like someone's trying to transfer this phenom.

Another thing to note the caliber of the places you are getting your information. Whenever a topic becomes wildly popular, like BSE has, alot of Scheiße comes around on the net, just look at viral e-mails and the lot.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
My understanding is it is extremely hard to kill to pinon. Some have been shown to survive cremation. Have heard in human brain and spinal cord surgury the instruments are melted down as scrap afterwards as they cannot be rendered safe from CJD by typical sterilization procedures.

IMHO MCD was much to do about very little.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Ken Scharabok said:
My understanding is it is extremely hard to kill to pinon. Some have been shown to survive cremation. Have heard in human brain and spinal cord surgury the instruments are melted down as scrap afterwards as they cannot be rendered safe from CJD by typical sterilization procedures.
This is my understanding as well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
There's a lot of different information out there and a lot of disagreement on the subject even among the science and health community. But the disease is not as hyped up as it is rumored to be. Here’s a link to the CDC’s page on CJD Questions and Answers: Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease Infection-Control Practices. They recommend one of three processes that you can read about on there that do not involve melting down the surgical tools. However it should also be noted that this level of sterilization is not unknown to this type of surgery. In general higher standards of sterilization are followed in cerebrospinal surgery.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Again, my understanding is CJD is pretty well worldwide in about 1/1M deaths.

See if your local library can get you a copy of Deadly Feasts: The "Prion" Convtroversy and the Pubic's Health by Richard Rhodes.

·
when in doubt, mumble.
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, you guys are helping me become smarter! :p

I'm not worried about it, (the BSE/CJD) but I find the subject facinating! Weird that a protein can make you sicker than a virus, eh? And that the non living proteins act like viruses or something is just sooo weird! Wow!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts