Pressure Cooker/Canner Questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by dheat, Jun 7, 2006.

1. dheat

dheat Well-Known Member

I'm interested in acquiring a pressure cooker for "everyday" use. Someday I hope to produce enough from our garden to can. Would you advise acquiring a pressure cooker/canner combo and use it for both cooking and canning or acquiring a smaller cooker for regular use and a larger canner for occasional use? If the latter what's a good size for a cooker? What about canner size? I'm leaning toward the latter.

Also, if I purchase used, what questions should I ask the seller?

Finally, will a pressure cooker work in a solar oven?

Thank you for your help,

Doug

2. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

I thought all canners could also be used as a pressure cooker - I'm not aware of any that can't. So with that in mind I'd get the "pressure cooker/canner combo" unless you want to pressure cook smaller amounts frequently for meals. I don't pressure cook often at all so for me it doesn't make sense to have a separate smaller pressure cooker. But your situation may be different.

Canner size - most will do 7 quarts and 9 pints or thereabouts. Some will do 18 pints because they're extra deep and allow you to stack the pints two high. If you're planning on doing lots of pints I'd get the one that allows you to stack pints two deep, as the extra initial expense saves you time and fuel over and over again.

If you purchase used, ask when the seal was last replaced and when the pressure was last verified by the county extension office.

Dunno about the pressure cooker and the solar oven.

3. dheat

dheat Well-Known Member

I suppose a small pressure cooker could be used as a canner. I was thinking of getting a big pressure canner and that would be bigger than necessary for regular use.

Thanks for your input

4. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

No, you have to have a bigger unit to do canning. Get the big one and IF you need the smaller one also, get the smaller one.

I don't think the smaller pressure cookers will hold a quart jar and even if they hold a few pints you'll be kicking yourself when you want to put up 6 quarts of green beans and all you can do is three pints.

5. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

Get both a cooker is to small for canning and the large canners are to big for cooking unless you have a very very large family....Large canners run about 80 to 100 new and the cookers 30 to forty but i got all of mine from yard sales for a lot less..

6. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

I don't know how big your family is, but I have a 16 quart pressure canner that I am not using for cooking, that would be awful cumbersome, and I have a 2 quart and a 4 quart pressure cooker (that I got second hand in new condition) that are just dandy for cooking. No, I can not imagine using a pressure cooker in a solar oven. It is important to control the pressure by controlling the temperature.

7. MountainRonda

MountainRonda Active Member

Pressure cooking can be dangerous. I've been there when someone opened one up too soon. Pretty scarry and what a mess! If you buy one second hand, that doesn't have instructions, you could probably get some info from the manufacturer's website if they have one. Most do. I know there are some foods you should never cook in a pressure cooker.

8. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

We have several and went by a yard sale recently about to close(the best tiem for bargains). Could not believe it-bought only for $1 brand new with both steam weights AND the instruction booklet. Same place I bought my ten gallon kraut urn and popcorn tins(ten for three dollars).