Press conference is angering me!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by lgslgs, Sep 1, 2005.

1. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

How much time does a president need to spend talking about gasoline when 60,000 are dying in filth and chaos?!?!?!?!?!?!

This is foul.

Lynda

2. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

Yesterday everyone was criticizing him because he was talking about the relief effort and didn't address the fuel issue.

3. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

People across the U.S. are concerned about rising gas prices, shortages, etc.. He NEEDED to talk about gas, as well as the crisis in New Orleans. People expected him to talk about it, and would have criticized him if he hadn't.

4. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

I have to agree with BeesNBunnies (and I'm no Bush fan!). He met with Daddy and Bill Clinton today to get them started on a relief fund for the hurricane victims and has already worked out who is to do what to help the victims. With the skyrocketing price of gas - which is on EVERYONE'S mind - I think it's about time he addresses the American people.

In our town gas was $2.99 this morning. It is now up to $3.19. Funny how the very same gas that was in the tank this morning is now suddenly worth $.20 more!! You aren't going to tell me price gouging isn't going on!!

5. lilyrose

lilyrose Well-Known Member

What riles me the most is that we have sent so many of our military supplies overseas that we're evidently struggling in this situation to meet our own people's needs. There are reasons why relief is taking far, far too long.

And I think a lot of people are wondering why that is.

It somehow seems ludicrous that our president is asking his father and Clinton to serve up some private fundraisers when billions of dollars of our tax monies are going overseas to whatever we're doing in Iraq. http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/01/D8CBJ6GO2.html

No, I'm not supportive of Cindy Sheehan at all, but just think about it for a moment. The money. Where it's going. And why this president is asking for fundraisers.

I personally think our priorities are seriously misplaced.

6. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I agree with most of you all...this country is made up of more than those areas hit by the hurricane. That horrid misfortune befell approximately 1 million people including 1st degree relatives etc. This country is made up of 245,000,000 million souls all of whom are concerned about the state of the state so to speak. Many feel this will be the final straw, that the oil wars will go on until there is no more oil, that the economy will collapse etc etc. The president must speak to the nation as a whole and he is trying to cover all the current distressfull topics.

7. heather

heather Well-Known Member

We (the US) had no problem helping Tsunami victims & being busy in Iraq.

There's no reason we can't both be busy in Iraq & help our own countrymen now.

- we will help our own; we will do our best; we always do.

8. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I just don't see a problem. At all. Fund raisers involve the VOLUNTARY giving of money towards a worthy cause. Don't give if you don't like it. But I don't understand anyone complaining about fundraisers. They've done a ton of good over the years.

9. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I guess he was talking to the majority of America that's more focused on the price of gas for their car then they are of their people dying from a natural disaster. Now that's what should anger you.

10. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Yes, you are right about that. I think the thing that is most frustratiing is that the hurricane seems like "old news" to a lot of folks now, and the emphasis has shifted to things that hit closer to home. I can understand the shift, but find it troubling when body counts are still rising.

I honestly can't remember the detail after 9/11 well enough to be sure, but my hindsight impression of it was that there was a greater focus on the victims. But I honestly don't know if that was the case or not. Right now, it looks so much like people are growing tired of the troubles our neighbors to the south are having and are more than ready to move on to thinking more about the next gas-up. But that might just be my view being colored by concern for people 5 days into horrible flooding who face civil unrest, horrible health conditions, and utter despair before there's an end in sight.

I really felt like I needed to hear a strong presidential voice saying very clearly that those people still stuck down there are (and will stay) a national priority as great or greater than any other national priority. Maybe that's just not a realistic thing to expect.

Lynda

11. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

I've never needed a pep or hand-holding speech from a president. I mostly think they should speak less and make their word mean something.

12. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Personally I thought Clintons Q+A was pretty thoughtful.He is a good speaker.

BooBoo

13. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

In reality a President is only a figurehead or a cheerleader, his greatest power is his spoken word. Many think the President is a king or dictator.

14. jessin

jessin Well-Known Member

Pres.bush can't win either he's not doing enough or he's doing to much.Give him a break. You know our Gov. is made up of humans too not only do the go into skock but also can only do what is humanly possible.The situation woudn't be so bad in n.o if the residents would stop panicking and looting and shooting guns at rescue workers they also might get some faster results if they started helping themselves instead of blaming anyone and everyone. one more thing two disasters happened so tech. they are having to respond ta two major catastrofic disasters.

15. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Yeah it is all Bush's fault. Karl Rove used the weather control machines to steer that hurricane right into the coast.

I don't like the guy but I swear the goofy lunatic baseless hatred for him would be hilarious if it weren't so pathetic.

16. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

The difference between this and 9/11 was that there was no warning to get out before the disaster happened with 9/11. Those folks were truely victims.

These folks had warnings - and ignored them. Hard to feel sorry for someone who knew to get their assets out and refused to do so. Now you see them on the news looting and/or complaining that help is slow in arriving. Why should anyone else risk their lives to help you becuase you were terminally stupid? The only people I feel compassion for are those that were truely unable to leave the area.

And I don't buy the excuse of "not wanting to leave the comfort of my home." I've lived through some bad flooding - and in one case I checked myself out of the hospital against doctors orders to go home, gather up my pets and a few meager belongs and beat it to high ground. Took me forever to get just a few things together since I was running a high fever and could barely stand-up straight, but I'll be dammed if I'm going to be whining that the gov didn't show up in time to help me, when I was capable of doing for myself.

17. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Well-Known Member

The fact that the Homeland Security Dept. is heading this up makes me feel soooooooo secure. Seems all our dollars in the past four years have been well spent. Hope they never have another disaster or two at the same time. Head of FEMA was just on and he got ticked because he was asked why the gov't didn't know people at the Convention Center had no food or water for 3 days. He had no answer. They do however know where every terrorist is in this country etc. They are right on top of it all.

18. heather

heather Well-Known Member

:D

19. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

This thread doesnt belong here(Homesteading Questions), try General Chat.

20. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

What I don't understand is why they don't take advantage of (childrens, religious, whatever) summer camps and retreats. Most of them are at the tail end of their seasons. toilet facilities, food preperation facilities. They might not be suitable for the elderly but they would certainly do for many people. I bet in the adjacent states (or even if they had to send them further) there are thousands of beds available. If they sent them north instead of west the weather would likely be cooler.

As usual, just my 2 cents.

Mike