preserving mayo?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paul Wheaton, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

I'm out of mayo and decide that rather than make a trip to town, I'll just make some. So I pop open the cookbook and read a list of stuff on "danger! bacteria! ..."

It seems that for the stuff from the store, it sits on a shelf for six months, then we bring it home where it sits for another two months. Then we open in and pop it into the fridge where it sits for a month.

Does the store bought stuff have a bunch of preservatives?

How long does home-made stuff last? Can you can it?

2. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I would think that you could can it.... that's what they do to the store stuff......

i bet it is chocked full of preservatives....

3. Bonnie L

Bonnie L Well-Known Member

Commercial mayo is loaded with preservatives. Making your own fresh is so easy you could do it every day if you wanted that much mayo!

It will keep ok in the fridge for a couple of days. Fresh mayo is a potential health hazard because you use raw eggs. You can't can it because you'll end up with a curdled product.

If your recipe says to beat it forever by hand, use an eletric mixer on low - works fine & not as tiring.

God bless,
    Bonnie

4. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

just a couple of days? Not even a week?

5. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I have made mayo many times = works best in the blender and only makes about 1 cup. Depending on how often and how much you use that should be sufficient for 3-4 days. It's only oil, salt, and egg and homemade tastes 100000000 better than store bought. Store bought has lots of preservatives and thickeners and flavorings added.

6. syringaweb

syringaweb Well-Known Member

A Virginia company, "Duke's" makes mayonnaise as close to the old way as you can get (very small list of ingredients). I buy it, it's reasonably priced and very good. I'm not sure if it's available all over the country, though.
    BUT, make it at home! Our stomachs are made to withstand some bacteria (or at least they used to be).