Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! This will be our first time growing garlic and we were hoping to find out what are some of the best ways to preserve it that'll not only keep the longest, but maintain flavor as well. Thanks a bunch for any help!

·
hillbilly farmgirl
2,398 Posts
This year, I left mine in the ground after it got done. I stopped watering it and just let it go for months. I just dug it up yeserday and stored it in a cabinet. My home grown garlic typically lasts 8 months or more if I don't hurry the harvesting process. Cool weather or cold storage will make it last a shorter anount of time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This year, I left mine in the ground after it got done. I stopped watering it and just let it go for months. I just dug it up yeserday and stored it in a cabinet. My home grown garlic typically lasts 8 months or more if I don't hurry the harvesting process. Cool weather or cold storage will make it last a shorter anount of time.
Thank you very much! I didn't know it could last so long, how wonderful!

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,946 Posts
You can also peel the cloves and put into jars, covering them with vegetable or olive oil, Sherry, or vinegar and store in the refrigerator.

It can be chopped too, but I think it lasts longer when left whole.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Has anyone dehydrated it and then dry canned? We are planning to do that with ours.
I have dried and ground up for into powder. I don't dry can. I see her t as a waste of canning shelving and jars. If you dry and ground, then put into vacuum bags to seal. Then toss into a bucket. When using it goes into a shaker jar. It will cake when in jar so keep some of those absorbers that come in aspirin bottles to keep in there.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I love it roasted in EVOO, then I take small amounts, put them into a sandwich bag, twist to get the air out, and freeze. Then you are ready for using it in almost anything. We use alot and I gave some as presents. I only defrost what I can use in a day or 2. Gotta beat the botulism.
Did 150 bulbs (not cloves!) last year this way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love it roasted in EVOO, then I take small amounts, put them into a sandwich bag, twist to get the air out, and freeze. Then you are ready for using it in almost anything. We use alot and I gave some as presents. I only defrost what I can use in a day or 2. Gotta beat the botulism.
Did 150 bulbs (not cloves!) last year this way.
Thank you! We're going to try a few different methods, but freezing is a definite. 150 bulbs! That's amazing!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts