Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tempted to try it, and after 2 years send the egg off to a lab to find out if it's still safe to use. I'd probably forget them in 2 years and never find out. LOL

Anyone heard of this or done it?

http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2014/10/preserving-eggs-french-way.html

This method appears in The Complete Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable by Juliette de Bairacli Levy, originally published in 1952, and makes the claim that eggs preserved this way will keep for two years.

What you Need:

2 ounces beeswax pastilles (beeswax pellets)
4 ounces olive oil
One dozen freshly laid eggs
Coarse sea salt
Airtight container (I used two quart Ball canning jars)

What to Do:

Melt the beeswax in the olive oil. Dip the eggs in the warm liquid, making sure to completely immerse each egg. Set eggs to dry, then gently wipe each with a paper towel or soft cloth. Store eggs, pointy end down, in an airtight container filled with coarse sea salt. Be sure each egg is completely covered in salt and the eggs aren't touching each other.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Bacteria can't live in salt. Aerobic bacteria can't live without air, but if there are anaerobic bacteria trapped inside the wax they could cause problems.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
My eggs stay fresh for two years no problem. But then they are still in the hen. My last batch stayed laying well very well for 8 years. They would take December January and February off. But shoot. I didn't want to hunt for eggs at that time any ways. That's oatmeal time.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
We've stored eggs in Waterglass for up to 7 months. As long as the eggs are entirely submerged they are find to cook with. The yolks go nearly dissolved, so you couldn't fry them, but fine for scrambled or baking. We did have one that was about 1/4" out of the solution - we gagged for 10 minutes. One out of 180 ain't bad.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I think this is one of those could ya / would ya things. I expect I could keep them and eat them if I had to, but I wouldn't want to. No more than I would want to eat baluts.
Still, the knowledge is worth having.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
We've stored eggs in Waterglass for up to 7 months. As long as the eggs are entirely submerged they are find to cook with. The yolks go nearly dissolved, so you couldn't fry them, but fine for scrambled or baking. We did have one that was about 1/4" out of the solution - we gagged for 10 minutes. One out of 180 ain't bad.

Wait. What? I am doing this for the first time this year and have several gallon jars filled. So when I use them there will be no yolk? That's good to know ahead of time!

I was thinking about dehydrating some to see if they lasted. I'm not a scrambled egg fan but scrambled is better than none at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts