Preserving button mushrooms

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Quint, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I acquired for free 12 big flats of white button mushrooms. They are still in fine shape and over the last couple of days I have been eating everything with mushrooms but obviously I'm going to have to do something with these in the next few days.

I don't have a pressure canner at the moment so I'm going to have to freeze them I guess. Is there some particular way I need to prepare them or freezing? Just wash or brush them and freeze them? I want to make sure before I do it as I don't want to wreck 100 pounds of mushrooms.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I don't know how to freeze them, but they dehydrate just fine.

Meg

3. Bernadette

Bernadette Enjoying Polish Rabbits

From Consumer Guide Canning Preserving and Freezing

Mushrooms - 1 to 2 pounds + 1 pint, frozen

1. Choose young, firm, medium mushrooms with tightly closed caps.
    2. Wash well, trim off ends and sort by size. slice larger mushrooms, if desired.
    3. Cook muschrooms in a frypan with a small amount of butter until almost done. Cool.
    4. Pack in containers, leaving 1/2 inch of head space. Seal, label and freeze.
    5. Cook frozen mushrooms just until heated through.

This book was published in 1976. I put some mushrooms in my freezer one, way back then, and they were good, kept well. However, for the amount of trouble it was I'd certainly never go out of my way to buy mushrooms to store this way. But seeing that the mushrooms were free, and you already have them on hand, I'd certainly recommend freezing them.

Bernie

4. miclew

miclew Well-Known Member

I would dehydrate (if you are able).

michele