Preserve a stump

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Randy Dandy, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Randy Dandy

Randy Dandy Well-Known Member

I have a couple of stumps that I would like to nail a round table top to later. I might have to kill one of the stumps from keeping it growing sprouts. After a year or two then could someone tell me the best way to keep the stump preserved so it wont rot too soon ?
    Thanks

2. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

No matter what it isn't going to last forever. And it being embedded in the earth by its roots is going to leave it prone to decay. But a solid waterproof tabletop ASAP ought to protect it from absorbing water from above and rotting from the top at leaset for a while.

3. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Depending on how serious you are about it, on a hot summer day set a can with a small hole full of boiled linseed oil, or maybe turpintine, or ...what else????...can anyone think of what else would work?

as it leaks out of the little hole it will soak into the wood and preserve it, over a long time it will even get into the roots and soil, it needs to be a very small hole, and have lots of time to soak through.

4. Randy Dandy

Randy Dandy Well-Known Member

Thank you both very much. I will try to preserve it as long as I can. Very good ideas :) Thanks