Preservatives in fish

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by steff bugielski, Jan 30, 2008.

1. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

Does anyone know anything about STP- sodiumtrypolyphosphate.(i think)
    It is a preservative used in fish. I always thought I was allergic to fish, flesh fish. I can eat shellfish. Then one day at a fish market the man told me it was not the fish it was this STP. I am able to eat sushi and fresh caught fish like trout. He said sushi grade fish does not have any preservatives because it is to be eaten raw and the preservatives would mask it not being fresh.
    This all makes sense but what I want to know is if there is any source to get fish without this STP. I love fish and when I feed it to my family it kills me not to be able to eat it.

2. mwhit

mwhit Well-Known Member

Hmmm.... I don't know. The roughy I have in my freezer says it has sodium tripolyphosphate in it. It says it's to retain moisture. I've honestly never paid attention to it before, but if I find any without it I'll let you know.

Michelle

3. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

make a trip to the local warf and see if you can find some fish just off the boats?

Fishing is a fun activity to do w/ your friends & family in spring and summer do a fishing day where everyone catches fish and then there is a big fish fry at the end?

4. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

It's not just to preserve it, it adds weight to the product; so, they can get more of your money with a nice injection of INorganic compounds. If you ever get a piece of tuna that smells like soap, that's STP...and it tastes like soap because it's an ingredient in dishwashing detergents, shampoos, etc.

5. Dirtslinger

Dirtslinger Well-Known Member

Adding ingredients not shown on the label is legal?

I saw something about basa fish, actually raised in Vietnam, where they used banned chemicals/fungicides in the fish farms. I stopped eating it.

6. limey

limey Well-Known Member

According to "Dangerous Properties of Industrial Materials" by Saxe and Lewis:
    "Poisonous by intravenous route. Moderately toxic by ingestion, subcutaneous and intraperitoneal routes. Ingestion of large doses can cause hemorrhages from the intestine if taken internally. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes."

Hmmm? Wonder what happens when you heat the fish???? Oh well, no more fish from the store for me.

Limey

7. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I found links referring to it's use in detergents, and also found this:

http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=159&page=64

Very. There's a nice little loophole. They add the ingredient to an ingredient before they add it to the product.

For example, if all the ingredients in canned soup were added individually and at once, there wouldn't be enough room on the label to list all the chemicals.

So instead, they will add all the chemicals, along with flavoring, to water and call it broth. Then they will mix the other ingredients into the "broth". The label will say broth, but since the chemicals were originally components of the "broth", they don't have to list them on the label.

8. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

In the US it's legal to put certain herbicides in the pond to kill the weeds but illegal to put the same herbicide in the pond to treat parasites on the fish. Stuff like that drives me nuts.

9. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

LOL I can give a lot more examples. Dozens of them. I'll mention only one. Certain antibiotics are banned in meat production for use as antibiotics, but the same ones are allowed to be used as growth promotants.

DUH.