Presents dont just come at Xmas

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TexasArtist, Nov 26, 2004.

1. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Wel yesterday morning I went out to the chicken pen to feed the two goats that are locked up while their due date arrives. I noticed one of the other girls hadnt gone down to th eback of the pasture with all the others so I asked her what was wrong while I was pouring th eothers feed in the bin. All of a sudden I heard a small sqeeky noise. I ran around to the other little goat house to find a brand new baby goat. She was still wet and the tempertures were in the high 20's and the momma was kind wandering around in front. I ran back to the house to get some towels to help dry her and we moved her and the mom into the chiccken/maternity pen nd tried to get the mom to nurse the baby after about an hour and a half. That still wasn't working so I mixed together some powdered milk with about a teaspoon of mollasses mixed. Took it out and the baby kept sucking it off my fingers for about 10 minutes then didn't want any more. After another hour the baby was able to stand and get to her moms teets to feed and now they are both doing good. So as you can see sometimes you dont get all your present on christmas. :)

2. Thats so cool....

A fellow goatkeeper of mine doesnt breed her girls all at once....and didnt have much luck last year...only one got pregnant and kidded prematurely.

I had 5 does kid in 12 days (10 babies) and she asked me what it was like and I thought for a minute and replied....the twelve days of Christmas only in April! It is such a rush I just love kidding time....losses are heartbreaking but heck if it didnt hurt it would mean I didnt care.

Hope it warms up for you!

3. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

we had friends name a July born doeling, Christmas in July, because she was an unexpected gift (the earlier breeding did not take and they werent aware of the doe being in with the buck later on)

4. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it better myself!! what a happy Thanksgiving!!!

5. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Oh yea. What a nice surprise! :)

6. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

2 goats that I have (brother and sister) where born Easter morning :D . Congrats texasartist! Have fun with those newborns! And remember they grow fast so get all the baby cuddlyness you can now before its to late!

MotherClucker

7. TexasArtist

Thanks folks I forgot to tell you her name. I've decided to name her Sweetpea because she's so small and sweet. Shes about the size of a dwarf bunny. Which is kind of strange because the first two kids we had her on the farm were about the size of a medium house cat.
    Have a good day :yeeha:

8. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Congratulations, Texas! Good thing you found her when you did, sometimes those first time moms just don't have a clue what to do, and other times, they seem to be really great mothers from the first minute! What breed are the does? Jan in Co

9. TexasArtist

we have a mix of nubians and boers. This momma is a nubian and so was the daddy