29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,667 Posts

·
Registered
42,436 Posts
It is done everyday, all day long. There has been long standing criticism of using "presentism" but it is a tool too good to pass on, regardless how misguided the practice is.

The professor that started it was called James Sweet. He is just the most recent person to call out "presentism" Read what he says here
My September Perspectives on History column has generated anger and dismay among many of our colleagues and members. I take full responsibility that it did not convey what I intended and for the harm that it has caused. I had hoped to open a conversation on how we “do” history in our current politically charged environment. Instead, I foreclosed this conversation for many members, causing harm to colleagues, the discipline, and the Association.

I sincerely regret the way I have alienated some of my Black colleagues and friends. I am deeply sorry.

I can't believe he apologized

·
Registered
22,817 Posts
Maher has always been a liberal, but he is a rare commodity in that he is a thinking liberal, Not many of those left. He recognizes stupidity when he sees it, no matter which side is doing it.

·
Registered
42,436 Posts
I can’t either. Though I’ve seen him routinely called a white supremacist. Did you watch the Bill Maher bit? He nails it.
Bill Maher is pissed because he can't do his bit at colleges anymore

Bill Maher is a dumbass

·
Registered
42,436 Posts
So you didn’t watch it?
because you don’t like him?
I had seen it before you posted it

I watch him from time to time, often enough to remind me he is a dumbass

·
Registered
2,667 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Ive always been a person who identifies more with the values and standards of the past. People would ask me why I love model T's, listen to radio shows and refuse to buy a cellphone. In the past it was harder to explain but, having witnessed the devolving social values/standards of the last ten years, I finally feel vindicated.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts