Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in Texas a few hours away from Dallas. However, the area I am in has many many people who hit the state fair recently. I am not in a panic, but logically I know it is possible that cases of Ebola could hit cities quite far from Dallas because of the unusual number of people gathering in the metroplex area and then heading back home.

We have piddled at prepping, but never gotten very serious. I want to pick yalls brains. If you were in my shoes, what things would you run and get asap just in case your little town got quarantined and you could not get to stores.

Some background info. We are in a tiny town, no grocery or doctors within 30 miles. We have chickens, rabbits, and cattle and can hunt so meat and eggs are not an issue. We have lots of acres to gather wood and can cook outdoors over fire. We have a well, but also have a nearby spring and a ceramic filter bucket set for back up.

Obviously I need veggies and fruits to round out the meat, but what else would you grab if you thought you might be on lock down for several weeks to months.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Whatever feed those animals need that you cannot produce yourself. A good multivitamin. Seed for fall garden crops, if you are set up to grow them. Whatever your vices/comfort foods are: for me, that would be tea, chocolate and potatoes. Think about how you would pay your bills (not just where will the money come from, but how you would get it to the folks who need to be paid), and how you would be spending your time. If there would be a lot of hours where you didn't have necessary work to do, maybe materials for studying or learning a new skill.

·
Registered
263 Posts
http://www.gardeningrevolution.com/files/100_Items_to_Disappear_First.pdf

Just the first 15 on this list.

100 Items to Disappear First
1. Generators (Good ones cost dearly. Gas storage, risky. Noisy...target of thieves;
maintenance etc.)
2. Water Filters/Purifiers
3. Portable Toilets
4. Seasoned Firewood. Wood takes about 6 - 12 months to become dried, for home uses.
5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps (First Choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)
6. Coleman Fuel. Impossible to stockpile too much.
7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots.
8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.
9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugar
10. Rice - Beans - Wheat
11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled etc.,)
12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid (Will become scarce suddenly)
13. Water Containers (Urgent Item to obtain.) Any size. Small: HARD CLEAR PLASTIC
ONLY - note - food grade if for drinking.
14. Mini Heater head (Propane) (Without this item, propane won't heat a room.)
15. Grain Grinder (Non-electric)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all who are contributing. I am pleasantly surprised at some of the items I could automatically check off. We really have more than I thought we did. But for the rest, I am makin' a list and checkin' it twice :) Keep 'em coming!

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
Check with all the places you pay bills to, can you get/see and pay your bill online? If you are in "lockdown" mode the Postal Service likely will not be delivering or picking up....so that credit card bill will not be showing up in the mail....nor the electric bill....taxes....etc.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Need to get on the ball myself. Although, PA is a distance from Texas...with today's travel..who knows..I will be getting more of these items. I will also stay out of stores as much as possible..even during flu season normally. Being retired there are weeks that I don't leave the homestead. I love not leaving home. I just wish that others would heed this and be prepared..just in case..and if nothing happens..you have a hundred rolls of toilet paper to use !!

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Besides your own food, animal food stored in appropriate containers to hinder spoilage and rodent invasion. Any of the many types of disinfectants and germ killers for people and any animals you may have. Also chemicals that will stop bleeding in case of an injury that you may not be able to get medical treatment for due to a quarantine. My Mom swore by cob webs in Florida during the hurricanes to stop bleeding but I don't know the accuracy of this method. Also could introduce infection...

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
Water will get boring...powdered milk and drink mixes.
Do you smoke? Bagged tobacco and a pipe.
Enjoy an adult beverage? Pick your fave.
Gasoline/diesel.
Heating fuel...oil, propane, NG, firewood.
Entertainment...especially if there are children involved. Games, books, etc.
The list can be as long or as short as you see fit. We try to be covered be it quarantine, long power outage (during Sandy, we were out for over a week...not long to some, but it was the longest we endured to date), job loss...just about anything we can possibly forsee...but don't get overwhelmed.

Matt

·
Premium Member
6,011 Posts
Keep track of what you use and what you eat -- each and every little item -- for a week. Take that times however many weeks you are prepping for and you should be good. Then add the medical/quarantine type items.

I'd also figure out a way to cook inside because in a shtf situation you really don't want everyone who comes along the road knowing you have food. Espeically during a quarantine, you don't want visitors.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I'd also figure out a way to cook inside because in a shtf situation you really don't want everyone who comes along the road knowing you have food. Espeically during a quarantine, you don't want visitors.
30 days into a SHTF, if you're alive ... it will be assumed that you either have food or you ARE food.

I can smell a neighbor barbecuing from over a mile away if the wind is right. And I mean a neighbor who is barbecuing some meat, not a neighbor who is being barbecued.

Out here in the sticks, we can't hide our habitation or the smoke from our stove, either inside or out. So what we do is make sure that anyone comes around knows that it won't be worth trying to take what we've got.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm so sorry, but I think they wanted this in TX 1'st, As of right now I know of 3 cases of Ebola here in the us , not the Dr's that were brought back from Africa.

For one I would make sure you can have a water supply, and next get as much Nutritional foods as you can afford, and the next step, no one wants to here but , PLACE YOURSELF IN ISOLATION. IT is the only protection from this disease. Sorry I had to say that, but it is what it is.

I still can hear others over the years here on HT saying the best time to prep is YEARS before SHTF.

But still you have a window and yes buying items is nice, but try to think of items you can use instead of buying them. Like if you have a small woods on the back of your property that you don't own but there are a LOT of down wood, go ahead and gather it up now.

Gather up your family and let them know that hand washing is about the only thing there is now to stop this and to not shake hands, and not touch anything. Stay home.

I do believe this is IT we are going to be using our preps and we are more than likely going to tell the sheep , well I have enough for me, I'm sorry, I can't do anything for you or your kids.

God bless us all and may he comfort those that need comforting, may he give guidance to those that need it, as it is never too late.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Why in the WORLD would you want to do that?

If anyone with government power sees you looking like you're diseased, you might find yourself in quarantine with REAL diseased people.

If a pandemic is spreading and society has broken down ... you might find yourself being shot and left dead in a ditch.

I just don't think it's a great idea if you're a gazelle on the Serengeti to try and fake a limp.

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
Why in the WORLD would you want to do that?

If anyone with government power sees you looking like you're diseased, you might find yourself in quarantine with REAL diseased people.

If a pandemic is spreading and society has broken down ... you might find yourself being shot and left dead in a ditch.

I just don't think it's a great idea if you're a gazelle on the Serengeti to try and fake a limp.
just info. people can decide themselves how/when to use it.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
I'm an hour east of Dallas and there is heavy traffic from my area to Dallas on a daily basis. I don't mind admitting that I'm scared! Fortunately I've been a prepper since before prepper was a word.

I am seriously considering a raiding trip through Sam's Club to pick up a few things to make life a bit more comfortable and keeping the danged gate locked!

To the op: Firewood...always be prepared to cook outside if necessary. Water is the biggie. Beans, rice, corn tortillas and a bit of salsa will keep you in good shape. If you can add eggs or fresh foods to that you are that much better off. Bleach is useful for lots of stuff(wish I wasn't allergic to it). If you are seriously thinking about bottling yourself up, consider buying seeds for sprouting over the winter if you don't have a greenhouse set up or some way of growing fresh food. Lanterns and candles. If you don't have a solar battery charger I highly recommend you order one. I got one from Amazon that charges AA up to D cell batteries. If you are unfamiliar with solar cooking check it out. Colloidial silver....get some. Believe it or not....board games. Entertainment can be very valuable.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts