Prepping/dividing strawberries for next season

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by kidsngarden, Aug 29, 2006.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

Should I thin out my strawberry patch now? I want to plant the new starts in a new patch for next year.

Any other prep for strawberries I need to do now?

kids

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

the sooner the better. it is already getting late. they should be wacked very soon after the fruiting is done (june bearing), the 3-4 year old mother plants removed and the patch fertilized. you are not alone...i did none of that, lol. i was working on a patch of june bearing plants today. i did not plant it in rows but the bed was too big to be an accessible bed. i am trying to untangle runners and plant some rows.

3. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks, I was wondering the same thing. I will get started right away. Can you put strawberries in black plastic? I am not the best weeder.

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

woops.

thanks for bringing this up. i'd been letting them die back each year, then mulching, and not having the results i'd like. now i know why.

5. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Goood luck. I am ripping mine out and planting blueberries. I need more fruit than the 25 strawbwrries they give me.

6. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Do I have to take my Strawberries out and replant them every year, every 2 or 3? I thought they could stay there. They have 3 or 4 runners each. There was a drought this year, but we have drip irrigation and heavy mulch so they survived and since we have been hand watering they are starting to all flower again.

[​IMG]

What to do?

Alex

7. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    My junebearing strawberries are still bearing the odd fruit. Is that normal? This is their first year--they were planted in January as bare-roots, due to the climate here. I have whacked back some runners but they've gotten ahead of me and there are a few out there needing to be whacked again.

It is kind of confusing trying to figure out what to do in my climate because most books and references are aimed at climates that have a frozen season. Here we do have four seasons, but they're not the same as most folks--drought, fall, profuse rain (like early spring for you guys), spring.

Do you think letting the runners go this long will make a big impact in yields next year?

8. kidsngarden

You had a drought up there in BC? Dang, I'm down here and hour and a half from the canadian border, drought never even touched us - too wet a winter.

How old are your plants? No, don't remove them. Only the older mother plants - like the three year old ones. Then cut the runners away from the plants. get rid of the runners you aren't keeping (ask friends if they want some). I'm moving mine to a new bed because I want more!

kids

9. kidsngarden

you may be a little disappointed with blueberries in the beginning too unless you get a pretty mature bush. I maybe got a half pint off my four bushes this year. They are pretty young - but that's the age most nurseries are selling them these days.

I got a pint a day at least for a month off about 70 strawberries that were their first year. And accounting for the space the blueberries need to be planted in (about 6 feet apart) my strawberries easily take up the same amount of space.

But later - MMMMM those blueberries will pay off!

kids

10. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

This is my first year for strawberries. I just let the runners go wild and if they wanted to root, I let them root. Should I have cut off the runners?

We got a couple dozen fruit, nothing spectacular. I think they were putting down roots, getting established, etc. Should be a lot better next year.

11. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

kidsngarden,

Why can't we just leave the mother-plants, and relocate the runners? Or does momma need to be shaken up or something? We want more Strawberries too. I can make a new bed, have lots of room.

Alex

12. kidsngarden

I'm leaving my mother plants because this will be thier 2nd year. Once they get older they don't produce as well so you are better to keep the younger plants in thier stead is my understanding.

kids

13. kidsngarden

I cut the vines between all the plants. That's what I mean by cutting the runners. If you cut all the attachments, then they are individual plants, not connected.

Yes, you should get more next year.

I'm glad I started this thread as I had ALWAYS done all this in the LATE fall, but heard earlier so this is good.

kids

14. kidsngarden

In my last house I put black perforated plastic under my strawberries and they did well. Took it off after the berries so the runners could find some dirt, though. This year the plants got pretty big and made it hard for weeds to get in... I noticed that at a local commercial grower too. They were packed in the rows and the weeds pretty much only grew in between.

kids

15. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

What do you guys mulch your strawberries with? I put down straw when I first planted them this spring but now they plants are so thick I don't think I could get straw in the bed without covering my plants... yet weeds are coming up through the straw. I need an alternative. Maybe grass clippings?

16. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

We used the;
    • Cut the hay field grass,
    • Put down 4" manure -- well rotted cow-manure compost
    • Spread 4 layers of newspaper or one of cardboard
    • 8" to 12" of Straw
    • Drip irrigation under the Straw near the rows -- more or less near them
    method to get the ground ready, then every year we add another 8" of straw, because it bio- degrades within a year into a nice soil-compost-mulch.

Alex

17. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i finally found the most recent version of the fruit production guide i use and it is online! :)

check this out...

http://ssfruit.cas.psu.edu/

18. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

how long before or after frost do you mulch the bed. When do you take off the cover in the spring?

19. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

thank you MELOC! there are more questions than answers on this thread. i'm glad i'm not the only one confused about strawberries.

20. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I have over a hundered but dont know much about them either I have been folowing this thread closely and learning also.