Preparing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ruby, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

This town is getting ready. When the towns start preparing, that means it's past time for us to prepare.

http://www.lufkindailynews.com/

This is my husband's hometown. And where we lived for about 20 years.

Sorry folks, try this link. That just shows how much I know about computers.

2. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I think you need to change that link.

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Yes, this does not work.

4. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

I was not prepared to be prepared.

I would have to pose the original question in order to be able to answer it. Duh, about like being my own Dad. :shrug:

5. Ruby

I changed the link.

6. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

7. Ruby

8. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

You didn't make a mess of anything. You're learning. I just looked at how many people have viewed this thread and it's over 200, so you've piqued people's interest.

I think our town does have something like this, but not on such a grand scale. Most of the folks around here prepare for emergencies on their own (although NOT medical emergencies. Those are frequently overlooked when people prepare)

9. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

When I was in college in 1971 and working in a hospital about 20 miles outside of Detroit; we had disaster drills & disaster teams;in case 1. a plane or bus crashed in the area, 2. the nuclear reactor 28miles away had a failure, 3 a way of getting the community involved if any medical or 'man made' disaster were to take place.

So I guess there's a long history of disaster preparedness but now finally they are expanding it to include more of the citizens besides emergency personell and medical staff. I guess the times have gotten more violent so there's a need to be prepared for more kinds of threats.
    Personally, I think it's smart-the more regular folks who are part of any disaster team the less panic if or when something happens. If there is a problem the training they receive will kick in and they can help their neighbors and community in a positive way instead of contributing to the normal & understandable mass panic.

10. Ruby

Not sure what the population is in Lufkin, but I believe around 40 thousand. It's been about 16 years since we lived there, although my brother is ther and my husband's stepmother. We do visit once in a while.

I was just surprised to read about the clinic. Didn't know anything like that existed. I wish I knew how to go about getting the health dept. around here intrested.

11. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Ok, I am now more prepared to be prepared. I love that part about being ready to fill out forms. And more forms. Can't get beans, bullets or shots without paper. :clap:

Anybody who has ever really been involved with this sort of thing will tell you it is good but of a limited value. Canned scenarios rarely happen as planned. Volunteers are good but you need a lot of organization that is routinely exercised to make them effective. The chain of command thing and the right trained up people in the right spots. You really need a functioning headquarters type command center that practices a lot. Lists of grunts are nice, if you know / can mobilize / direct them in an organized manner that is fully understood by all involved. Got to have more than a plan.

Think the USA has a lot of work to do in this general area. Places overseas do it far better. Like South Korea, Japan or other places that have large civilian non-paid grunt forces organized for all sorts of emergencies.

Military reserve forces are a natural for much of the duties as they already have the organization and can include a lot of additional training as part of their normal duties / be team leaders for lots of civilian grunts. Plus may have a lot of useful equipment. Damn shame way too many are in Iraq. :(

12. Ruby

At least they are trying, and not just sticking their head in the sand like so many places and hope nothing happens to "our town."

13. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I'd like to take exception to the characterization of towns 'sticking their heads in the sand.' Disaster planning and exercises are costly. Especially if they're done right, with all ambulances fielded, mock "victims," fire hoses flaked out to fight the "fire" etc. One large drill can use up hundreds of dollars in bandages for the wounded, field kits, employee time and compensation, etc. And some areas simply can't afford to run drills. The best they can hope for is to re-work the communication systems so everyone is on the same frequency ($17,000 in our area to redo all the communications).

Because we have so many tourists coming to this area our rescue personelle train relentlessly and regularly... and it is expensive. Does that matter if your kid is the one who fell off the rocks and the difference of 10 min may mean life, death, or lifelong imparement? I rather think not... but still... no conducting these drills doesn't mean a community has stuck their collective heads in the sand.

Many of the people who serve on our public boards (planning commission, town board) are from the WW2 generation, or remember WW2 from their childhoods... and I'm quite sure they know darn well no town is too small to be prepared. But that's an entirely different matter from ripping money out of the school budget to "be prepared."

14. Ruby

:confused: Huh?

I didn't mean to rip the money from the school system, what I mean is I think the health dept. needs to start getting prepared and stocking up on meds, and supplys that well be need in case of a disaster.

They could raise money through fund raisers and such. They don't have to take it away from other funds.

As far as sticking their head in the sand, I ask the dean of the tech. classes where I went to college, (who is also the mayor of the town close to where I live) what kind of disaster plan the town has. I needed the information for a class project I was doing. He just said we are OK, besides there probably won't be any problem around here, we're a small town. :mad: