Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all im Riggaman I grow cannabis for a living in Nevada im from Chicago but my plan in the next 2 years is to repatriate back to an African country and buy land and start a homestead so to speak.

I have a pretty good handle on growing crops ,building, and animal husbandry im here to get as much information before I make my move thanks in advance for answering my abundance of questions.

If you guys do not know a lot of African countries are giving African-Americans Citizenship and free land or VERY VERY cheap land .. you can get 5 acres for 5-7 grand depending on country location etc..

if anyone has any experience building a homestead in a developing country or tropical climate im all ears !

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello all im Riggaman I grow cannabis for a living in Nevada im from Chicago but my plan in the next 2 years is to repatriate back to an African country and buy land and start a homestead so to speak.

I have a pretty good handle on growing crops ,building, and animal husbandry im here to get as much information before I make my move thanks in advance for answering my abundance of questions.

If you guys do not know a lot of African countries are giving African-Americans Citizenship and free land or VERY VERY cheap land .. you can get 5 acres for 5-7 grand depending on country location etc..

if anyone has any experience building a homestead in a developing country or tropical climate im all ears !
Not sure where you’re headed to, but I suggest visiting/staying there a bit to consider all the factors like availability of health care, economic and political factors. That’s true wherever you go. Good luck whatever you do.

·
Volvo With a Gun Rack
2,580 Posts
Africa is a very large continent...you did not specify whether you plan to go north, south, east, west or central!

I am somewhat familiar with South Africa and Zimbabwe (I work for a South African company and go there annually for meetings, and have hunted/vacationed in both SA and Zim).

You mentioned tropical climate...so I suppose you plan to be between the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn?

Have you ever lived in a third-world country? Can make Mississippi seem progressive. :) Yes, I have also lived in Mississippi.

Also just know this...90+% of Africans would rather live in the U.S. than in any country on the African continent. Try not to burn any bridges!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Have waited to see if this is legit or some kind of internet head game.. There seems to be things like that out there and I'm not internet savvy enough to tell..

So I will take this as legit.. I will also talk to you as I would any friend, or my kids, across the kitchen table, which may not be always politically correct, but frank and well meaning as the info and insights from life experiences may be useful..

I'm having to presume you are of African American heritage.. I've known some black people, had some in my tool and die shop.. Most with family roots in the southern US, and me having a string of cousins across that region.. All telling me the various groups DO NOT get along with one another well.. That being the Creole blacks, the Seminole blacks, the Caribbean and South American blacks.. In a word, some of the groups saying the next group isn't "black enough"..... What ever that means...

I have seen this among the First Nation tribes here in the north.. (First Nation = North American Indian) The Pacific coast tribes, Artic, interior tribes, on the US side many of the norther tribes tolerate, but don't get along that well..

I have worked with a group who were engineers in South Africa in the 1980s and later on various projects, for the most part around Joe,berg, Pretoria, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth.. This during apartheid (?) shortly after era.. ? All saying the local tribes, communities there are about the same..

Again... I'm not trying to be malicious, condescending, racist, you name the many labels that get put on people today.. Just trying to share info learned through life in different places.. That to say, you may or may not be as welcome as you would like, depending where you go.. Or safe...
Good luck..

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
1,921 Posts
Have you ever lived in a third-world country? Can make Mississippi seem progressive. :) Yes, I have also lived in Mississippi.
Hey! I live in Mississippi, and I resemble that!

;)

·
Banned
139 Posts
Have waited to see if this is legit or some kind of internet head game.. There seems to be things like that out there and I'm not internet savvy enough to tell..

So I will take this as legit.. I will also talk to you as I would any friend, or my kids, across the kitchen table, which may not be always politically correct, but frank and well meaning as the info and insights from life experiences may be useful..

I'm having to presume you are of African American heritage.. I've known some black people, had some in my tool and die shop.. Most with family roots in the southern US, and me having a string of cousins across that region.. All telling me the various groups DO NOT get along with one another well.. That being the Creole blacks, the Seminole blacks, the Caribbean and South American blacks.. In a word, some of the groups saying the next group isn't "black enough"..... What ever that means...

I have seen this among the First Nation tribes here in the north.. (First Nation = North American Indian) The Pacific coast tribes, Artic, interior tribes, on the US side many of the norther tribes tolerate, but don't get along that well..

I have worked with a group who were engineers in South Africa in the 1980s and later on various projects, for the most part around Joe,berg, Pretoria, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth.. This during apartheid (?) shortly after era.. ? All saying the local tribes, communities there are about the same..

Again... I'm not trying to be malicious, condescending, racist, you name the many labels that get put on people today.. Just trying to share info learned through life in different places.. That to say, you may or may not be as welcome as you would like, depending where you go.. Or safe...
Good luck..
Lol forget color , The most ******* racist small town in the country except their own of any color better than any newbie from another town.

In words most places in the country don’t want new people!

especially rich no it alls From far away

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I'm betting scam, or else he's the most altruistic (and naive, not to mention misguided) young man. going.

Maybe this will flush him out-- A black guy walks into a bar with a parrot on his shoulder. "Where'd you get that?" asks the bartender..."In Africa," says the parrot. "They're all over the place."

Treating the OP as if it's sincere, I have to agree with the others-- better an American living on assistance than an Emperor in Africa. ..Security and a soft landing when you fail here. Continuing threat of political unrest in an unfertile land there where your life, particularly as a foreigner, could suddenly, unpredictably be in danger.

Besides-- $1000/ac ain't no bargain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Africa is a very large continent...you did not specify whether you plan to go north, south, east, west or central!

I am somewhat familiar with South Africa and Zimbabwe (I work for a South African company and go there annually for meetings, and have hunted/vacationed in both SA and Zim).

You mentioned tropical climate...so I suppose you plan to be between the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn?

Also just know this...90+% of Africans would rather live in the U.S. than in any country on the African continent. Try not to burn any bridges!
And No I have never lived in a third world country unless Chicago counts 😅.. but I've listed above the countries id like to go to but pretty much east or west Africa im really leaning toward English speaking counties but im not apposed to learning a new language.... but yea 90% of them would but as you say its a big Place the upper class over there lives pretty good..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm betting scam, or else he's the most altruistic (and naive, not to mention misguided) young man. going.

Maybe this will flush him out-- A black guy walks into a bar with a parrot on his shoulder. "Where'd you get that?" asks the bartender..."In Africa," says the parrot. "They're all over the place."

Treating the OP as if it's sincere, I have to agree with the others-- better an American living on assistance than an Emperor in Africa. ..Security and a soft landing when you fail here. Continuing threat of political unrest in an unfertile land there where your life, particularly as a foreigner, could suddenly, unpredictably be in danger.

Besides-- $1000/ac ain't no bargain.

well I appreciate your response but every country in Africa is not dangerous

here are a few links of African-Americans who repatriated back

this is a video of a military vet and his family who moved to The Gambia and started a homestead and they are not young at all

this is Rwanda im just not sure about there president and its a REALLY clean country and they speak English

this is a guys new house in The Gambia

this video is of Nairobi Kenya

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great plan! Leave the greatest nation in the world to grow weed in an unpredictable sh&$ hole. What could go wrong?
yea America is cool and all but im assuming your White but America is not the same for me... but be as rude as you like im here for information not to make you happy..
and if you have ever been to Engle Wood Chicago I garuntee you would think that was a **** hole as well ,or Gary Indiana another **** hole the list goes on and on but its ****ty places everywhere im not sure I see the issue of me wanting to go back to where im originally from and starting something... I could buy land here in the US but do I really want to put my money in this economy ? I came from little to nothing so I don't care if the road is not paved.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

One of my questions is about shipping items to The Africa.... like tractors cars etc if you have any information im all ears . like basic costs .. I've seen some crazy stuff depending on what country you are in. for importing stuff in they will try to charge you outrageous rates ...

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
...and if you have ever been to Engle Wood Chicago.....
That changes everything. Just about any place in the world would be an improvement. I tip my hat to you. You're a survivor...I'm from Chicago. I trained at UofI and Cook County Hosp. I know what you've been thru.

I always compare us American "homesteaders" to 8 y/o suburban brats who think it's great adventure to "camp outside" in the back yard on a warm summer night in a tent....They can always run back inside if a sudden thunderstorm comes up....Gong to Africa, you may not have that luxury. Crops fail. Binge on "Little House on the Prairie" some night to get an idea of what you may be facing.

Probably nobody here has any facts to provide you about dealing with any country in 'Africa. It's safe to say no country there will be run like the US. Importing machinery may or may not pose problems. Even smaller items may be more difficult to come by. Probably there's no Walmart or Farm & Fleet to make shopping easy. We're spoiled here.

Language may be a problem as well as prejudices against a foreigner. We urbanites who've gone rural face a good deal of that here. I bet it's a geometric progression there.

If you're homesteading-- ie- self sufficient-- then "the economy" doesn't make all that much difference to you, so I don't really see your motivation (other than romantic altruism) to go to Africa. Surely a bad economy here is better than any good economy there

Starting a homestead and being successful at it is difficult enough here with readily available supplies, materials, good climate and social support....gotta be even tougher in a foreign land. Why not start one here first and see how you do, then take those skills over seas if you still want to.

Primary considerations for any homesteading effort-- source of water, source of energy, protection from the elements (housing), soil fertility, source of income. ...and protection from dangers (both human and otherwise.)

BTW- some words of advice based on my experiences & observations-- here in America, whites would have a much easier time forgetting you're black if you would forget it first. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" was good advice 500 yrs ago. It's still good advice.

Best wishes, whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
36,864 Posts
I would move from Gary too.

I helped move a manufacturing facility from Gary. To my great surprise we had two people relocate to an idyllic Illinois town from Gary. We were willing to cover all moving costs. Two takers.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts