preparing for Angora's

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by SherrieC, Dec 22, 2005.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

What kind of special cage requirements do angoras have if any, we make our own cages, and most of them are large as most of my bunnies are giant crosses. Also is there any good forums or yahoo groups/web pages for learning the ins and outs of angora care? The only thing I remember reading is they need a little hay in their diet to combat wool blockage. :D preporation is a good thing! :rock:

2. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

There is a lot of information on www.angorarabbit.com (I bought my engllish angoras from the lady that runs that website.) I am also a member of the Naional Angora rabbit breeders club (www.narbc.org) they also have a lot of information the their site. Angoras are a lot of fun and very addictive! Good luck!

3. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

I have French and Satin angoras, and raise them in 24x36 stacking cages. A buck could get along in a 24x30, but breeding does need the larger space. I have a couple 30x30s and used to have 36x36, but unless you have hanging cages (not stackers) and long arms, the deeper cages are tough to reach the back for cleaning, etc.
    Most angora breeders recommend all wire cages - no wood floors, and even frames. You get more buildup of hair/waste on the cage floors than with short coated rabbits, and really need to keep that clean to keep the wool clean. I use slotted plastic resting boards for some of my older, heavier rabbits, but for the most part, the fur on the foot is enough padding to avoid sore hocks. I have a few cages with urine guards, but don't really recommend them. They tend to stain the coat. If you have trouble with spraying, try hanging cardboard between the cages. I keep my stackers about 8-10 inces apart, and don't have trouble with spraying bucks that way.
    To clean the cage floor and sides of hair buildup, I use a propane torch and a wire brush.
    Angoras need to be kept out of the wind/rain so that they stay dry -wet or damp wool tends to mat. Good air circulation helps with this, too. Mine tend to draw moisture in the winter if its damp and cold. They are quite tolerant of cold, but in June/July/Aug I keep mine clipped down to stay cool, and run a fan in my rabbitry. Some people use frozen water bottles, but I've never had that need. Direct sun will overheat them quickly and kill them, even when its not that hot, so be sure they are shaded.

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

4. Somerhill

I did not notice - you are in Indiana. I am coming to Huntington Indiana this Saturday for a rabbit show! If you are close enough, you could attend this show and see all four breeds of angoras. I'm bringing some for sale, and know others are, too. The angora specialty show is at 1PM, and the main show starts at 6PM.

There are several good Yahoo groups on angoras.
    OhioAngora (there are Indiana people on this)
    frenchangoras is REALLY good
    SatinAngoras has a good group, too.

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

5. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

Thanks Lisa for the invite to the yahoo. I am wiped out $$ this month my hubby's truck needed attention, it's sooooo needy! If not for that I'd love to go down to huntington and bring back some bunnies. I think my cage set up is perfect the cages are huge, as I raise mostly giant's but I'll faze them out, well that or eat them ; ) I build my own cages out of all wire of course, they are hanging cages in the barn shade, wind protection on cement floor. I also love brushing hair, I have 36" and my 4 year old daughter can sit on hers. plus the fluffy lgd.

6. trublu

trublu Member

I just have one to add on the resting boards for angoras. I use sheetrock. It is very cheap and safe. You can have them cut it in smaller pieces at the lumber yard then just score the size you want with a utility knife and snap it off. Some will urinate on it some will love sitting on them. Just throw them out and get a clean as needed.
    Just my experience that my rabbits never used the resting boards but that is just matter of preference for the rabbit!!

7. Somerhill

Yeh, trouble with those sheetrock resting boards is that with angoras, the smallest amount of urine and/or manure will make their feet wet and stained. Also, they sit in it, and then have dirty, wet, matted tails and genital area.

The slotted resting boards work better, although you still need to be sure to remove and clean them often, as wool builds up on them and then gets wet and dirty.

Sherrie, the show at Huntington was great! We had 41 entries. I left with 20 bunnies, and I happily came home with only 12. :dance:

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com