Prepared my first garden-HELP!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by HeatherDriskill, Aug 14, 2006.

1. HeatherDriskill

HeatherDriskill Well-Known Member

Hello, everyone!

I have been dreaming of growing a garden for about a year and a half now. We just moved to a place where I can have one. My uncle told me he would come over with his tractor and tiller so that we could get a spot ready. Well, I got tired of waiting, so last night, I just dove right in.

I laid out all the cardboard boxes I had and made a SMALL spot. I put down a layer of peat moss, then grass clippings, peat moss, leaves, peat moss, weathered straw, peat moss, leaves, and grass clippings again. I ran out of peat moss by this time. I topped them off with a couple of Canadian nightcrawlers (left over from fishing) on each pile. I ended up with two beds about 6 feet by 2 feet. Like I said, small. But, that is all the boxes and all the peat moss I had.

The beds are only maybe 6 inches high. Is that deep enough to plant anything in or should I go get more peat moss? I went to Wally World to get seeds on sale and the selection was not too hot. I got carrots, two kinds of lettuce, eggplant, lima beans, pumpkins, some weird squash, cabbage, chives, basil and a few others I can't remember. I know that some of this stuff (like pumpkins) probably won't have time to do anything, but, I bought them anyway.

My main question is should I go ahead and plant in this or what? Thanks!

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Your six inch garden bed will settle down to three inches, I would think. That's okay. Plant what you've got. Keep mulching with leaves and grass, but make sure the grass hasn't gone to seed. In the meantime, work on compost. If you have some way of turning compost, like one of those barrels that you roll over, you'll have some nice compost to put in the garden in the spring. Just layer it on like you've been doing. I don't think you'll get any pumpkins, but a nice pumpkin plant would look very pretty, and you can bring the vines out onto the lawn instead of letting it eat up your garden space. You don't need worms.

You can grow kale and certain other vegetables over the winter if you place clear plastic over the bed, or form some other type of greenhouse. You can also plant onions and garlic right now for harvesting next year.

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

maura can you still seed kale here in michigan at this time?

4. dennisjp

dennisjp dennisjp

I took the bottom out of an old tent I had and started putting everything I could find in it for compost.
    Kitchen scrapes, lawn cuttings, any tomatoes, peppers, cukes, etc. that go bad in the garden and it is working great. I did put some dirt from the basement that had washed in before we moved in, in it also. I just grab one side of the tarp as I call it, and pull it and make everything roll over every day or so and it is rottening very well. I was thinking about buying some fishing worms to put in it, but I am afraid I will kill them when I roll it back a forth. Any ideas on that would be helpful.
    You can buy tarps online at northerntools.com fairly cheap if anyone wants to try this. I just happened to have the tent and was going to throw tit away, but a light came on. Dang light don't work sometimes but it seems to be doing ok for next year this time.
    I just plowed under my corn, which did well for a change and planted some late beens and peas. My first row of tomatoes is about had it so in another week, (give or take 7 to 10 days, lol) I will plant some more beens.
    Does anyone grow the Roma II's?? Best been I ever tasted.
    What is another late crop that I can grow????? This is just my second garden and I am still learning.

5. HeatherDriskill

Thanks a lot! I just wanted to get the go ahead from someone before I wasted my time. I probably would've done it anyway because I have no patience! I have a little compost going in a plastic garbage bin, but I really want to kick it in gear so that I have a lot of good stuff for my totally awesome spring garden which I have planned! This fall garden is kind of a last minute thing and I just wanted to get something going so I can start learning.

Do you think carrots will have enough room to grow in that shallow of a bed?

Thanks!

6. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

If you plant shorties, yeah. But will they have the time?

Refresh my aging memory... Which zone are you in?

Pony!

7. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    This guy's book is really good for beginning gardeners. My dad grew veggies when I was a kid, I grew flowers for a few years, but only started with veggies last year, using this guy's book, which really covers everything you need to know to have a successful start at veggie gardening.

http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

8. HeatherDriskill

Pony, I am right on the edge of zone 6/7. I planted half length carrots. If they don't have time,oh, well. I just wanted to try it.

Suburbanite, I have been wanting that book! Checked my library and they don't have it. Guess I will have to cough up the dough after your stellar reccomendation!

9. eggladyj

eggladyj Well-Known Member

Heather, good news...you're doing great! There are lots of things you can plant this time of year and get good results yet! Go to your counties extension web site, there you should be able to find a section on what you can grow for a fall garden for your area and so many other things pertaining to gardening! I live in zone 7 and I planted some pumpkins just two weeks ago and they are looking super! The way I figure it is they will get pumpkins on them for sure, if the weird weather keeps up I should have no problem harvesting pumpkins by Halloween, may be smallish, but since they were mostly for the kids I think that any size pumpkin harvested from thier own little garden just in time for Halloween will be just grand! Besides the smaller pumpkins are better for making pies and breads from, so it's a win-win deal!

Jeannine

10. HeatherDriskill

Thanks, eggladyj! It has rained here the last two nights. Good, but weird. I hope my seeds haven't drowned! I contacted my extension office and got a publication on fall gardening. I couldn't get exactly all the things I wanted to plant, so I just got whatever seeds wally world had.