Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Can't stop thinkin'
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a $50 Walmart gift card for Christmas and wanted to make the best use of it. Any suggestions on what kind of prep items to get from Walmart? I know most don't look too highly upon Walmart, but that's where the card is from. I'm in the beginning stages of prep with a couple months food supply stored. Maybe hang onto the card and wait for the spring to get seeds and other garden type items? We're also good on the "camping"type items.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Canning supplies? The one here has jars, canners, pectin... think that'd the direction I'd go

Twila

·
Mountaineers are free
945 Posts
I'm really not thinking of much, maybe ammo for firearms. But don't buy your seeds at Walmart, most if not all are genetic hybrids. Buy only heirloom seeds so you can save some at the end of each growing season for planting the next year. Genetic Hybrids can't be saved.

·
Can't stop thinkin'
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have about 6 rolls of the vac sealer bags. If I got more, would the plastic deteriorate before I ever got to use it?

·
Registered
75 Posts
The bags will dry out and not seal if they sit for too long.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Walmart would be a good place to stock up on things like shampoo, dish soap, laundry detergent, hand soap, band aids, tooth paste and tooth brushes, deodorant, toilet paper, whatever other non-perishable items you can think of that you use regularly and would miss if they weren't available.

Kathleen

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I vote with the canning supplies or the toiletries/cleaning products. Also another idea is underwear/socks. The may even have BOGOs or rebates on the undies/socks in Jan. Whatever you choose, enjoy your shopping.

·
Wasza polska matka
6,912 Posts
Do you have a pressure canner?? They have a presto for reasonable..
I keep hitting deals there,
I got bags (12 oz) of cranberries for 50 cents each, grown in Massachusetts, sweet potatoes from the carolinas right after thanksgiving for ten cents a lb, fresh turkeys day after t-giving for .19 a lb (I canned and halved and froze).
I guess I couldnt use any of this stuff without canning supplies.

·
Super Moderator
16,906 Posts
Decide what your family uses as staples. Look to seewhich of those are on sale at Wall Mart. Buy some and set it aside.

Now, the next time your cupboard is out, get it from the sale boxes. Use the money you just saved to buy more sale staples.

After a while, you will never pay full price for staples again, your pantry will be generous, and with a family of 4 I saved $10-$20 dollars a week of food.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
The bags will dry out and not seal if they sit for too long.
I have bags left from 6 or 7 years ago that seal just fine. But I've kept them in their original box, maybe that helps.

·
Wasza polska matka
6,912 Posts
I just bought a nesco dehydrator from wallyworld for 40 bucks. It has a fan. My old one was $1 at a garage sale, but a pain in the neck as no fan, took forever to dry. I got ripe bananas for ten cents a lb, and I am trying it out now .of course I HAD to buy 50 lbs of banans...I figuered between banana bread, smoothies and yogurt from frozen bananas and what I can dry to snack on for granola and trail mix and snacks, how can you miss...then again we will be enjoying our ten cent bananas when everyone is paying 50 plus cents a lb.

·
Can't stop thinkin'
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good ideas. I may travel a bit further to the Super Walmart where they sell groceries. Plus bring along coupons. How long does shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant last; as in shelf life. We have a canner and dehydrator. Thought about some good knives for butchering, but don't think WM would have high quality/last almost forever knives.
Good score on the banannas. My kids love bananna chips, but still don't taste like the store kind. Guess they put some kind of sweetner on them.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
In the christmas section there should be candles on sale, sometimes plastic storage bins in red and green. You might also get a few strings of led christmas lights. They only use about 2-3 watts and put out enough light to get by if needed, and won't drag a battery down like the higher powered ones. You might check out their inverters as well.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
The candles they sell at Walmart are often the cheapie kind from China that don't burn evenly. They sputter and smoke and sometimes won't stay lit. I've learned my lesson the hard way....

I'd stick to staple foods and camping items like mylar emergency blankets, camp stoves, and those little cans of propane. And maybe clothes that will be useful long term.

·
Premium Member
16,652 Posts
Maybe look into buying kerosene lamps or even a campstove. As far as clothes goes, I'm getting quite a few sweatsuits. They are easy to travel with if you have to bug out. They roll up smaller then jeans plus if you have to handwash them, it's easier and they dry out faster.

·
Can't stop thinkin'
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does the can propane have a long shelf life? HOw about the fuel for the oil lamps?

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
I am not a big walmart fan, but go buy $50 worth of grocery's then spend the $50 you would have spend on grocery's and go buy something of quality that will last and fill your prep/survival supplies that way.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I went to the nearest Wal-mart today with a gift card as well. I was going to buy a solar shower (the camping kind) for our prep kit as we live in South GA and in a SHTF situation, we could at least get water out of the well and get a warm shower. They didn't have any!!! In fact, almost all of the camping items were gone. Others must finally be catching on.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Great ideas, I got a card this Christmas too. You can also buy stuff off their site and they ship it to your store for free. This is great for me as our local store is pretty small.
I'm looking into the dehydrator idea.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts