Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our doe give birth to a premature stillborn this morning. We bought she and another doe from a reputable farm and they were already bred. I've never had a stillborn before and am wondering about possible causes. Any resources would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
348 Posts
There are many things, but my friend had 2 Nubians have miscarriges about 2 days apart. They ha used my buck, and all mine were fine, and had kidded fine. The vet thought it was possible to be a Selinum deficency.

Laura

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought them about a month ago. I have been giving them tree branches and field scraps because their pasture is SO dry as we are in a drought. My first nervous thought was that I had given her something that made her abort.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Well if they have only been there a month it could be many things. The stress of the move, acclimating to new area, new food, new people. It could be something you cut and fed them. It could simply be the stress of the hot dry weather. Many things can cause a doe to abort. Many of them are no ones fault and just happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts